Winter Storm Thread....how deep is your snow?

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Lots of us going through some heavy winter snows right now. Tell us all about it!

How much are you getting? Any trouble getting your livestock fed/watered? Any trouble getting from here to there?

We are supposed to get around 40 in. by Sunday. We had a foot today and it just started raining/sleeting/snowing on top of that. No traffic on the highways...they are shut down, for the most part.

This is the biggest snows we have had here in WV since the early 90s and then back in the late 70s before that. You can't find salt, snow shovels or firewood around here....sold out!

How is everyone else doing?

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
They keep talking about it on the news here. I guess it really is going to be a big one. They showed people with shopping carts loaded up to the top and all the snow moving equipment.

I'm sure everyone on here is going to be better prepared than most ;) I do hope you all stay safe!!

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
This is just amazing. I can't believe we have so much less snow cover this year (and way colder temps!) than we had last year. And you guys down south are getting our snow!

I am actually afraid how deep the freeze line is getting and possibly losing some trees/rose bushes because we have no snow cover.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I'm feeling great that it's on a weekend! :cool: No driving to work in this....well, I did today but it wasn't too bad yet. Couldn't see the road and no one was out making tracks, so it was kind of pretty and peaceful.

I just have to keep thinking that this snow is great for gardening...great for gardening...great for gardening.... :fl :fl :fl

buckeye lady

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Last trip out to the barn to feed the critters was with my boots on through about 6 inches of heavy wet snow. It's supposed to continue through tomorrow morning. DH is at a conference in Columbus. Just me and the dogs. House is warm and quiet. 2 dogs asleep on the couch, 2 dogs asleep at my feet. Baked 15 dozen cookies this evening for a funeral service of a family friend tomorrow. House smells like cookies!

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
I heard on the news that Washington DC was expecting feet not inches. Wow.
Snow does make taking care of animals harder- I remember from my student days in Michigan. Frozen hoses to drag intothe house to thaw out. Putting buckets full of snow in the house to get water for the horses. Just walking to the barn was hard.
It's beautiful but hard. Good luck to all here dealing with it. Stay home if you can.............

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
valmom said:
This is just amazing. I can't believe we have so much less snow cover this year (and way colder temps!) than we had last year. And you guys down south are getting our snow!

I am actually afraid how deep the freeze line is getting and possibly losing some trees/rose bushes because we have no snow cover.
You can save a decent sized cardboard box to cover them up with. Better than nothing, and if you spread the flaps out on the ground, you can weigh it down with rocks.

bibliophile birds

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
we've had the wettest, coldest winter i can remember this year. i mean, we had a MASSIVE blizzard (for here) in 1993- 2.5 ft of snow and 2 weeks without electricity- but the rest of that winter was mild. it's been nothing but insane weather all this winter. we've had about 3 weeks where it hardly hit the teens and snow that actually stuck around for more than one day.

our biggest problem, however, has been rain. i live right at the foot of the Smokies, so when NC, KY, and middle TN get snow, we usually get rain. the farm is now a swamp. literally rivers in the fields. a small pond behind my house is about 5x bigger than usual. where the horses and cows walk around the chicken wagon, it's almost impossible to walk through without falling over or loosing a boot (and i have to walk through it at least twice a day). between the chickens scratching around and the rain, their yard is a mud hole, but i can't move the wagon because it's basically stuck in the mud. the ground just can't take any more water- yet it's been raining all day and will again tomorrow.

i'm actually desperately hoping for a really good freeze for at least one day so that the mud will harden and i can get my chickies onto some relatively dry ground.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
We got about a foot over night, and it's still coming down. They're predicting we'll have about 20 inches before all is said and done.

This is the heaviest snow we've had here since we moved here.

It better be the last one. :rant