Wisconsin beer-cheese soup, drool...

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I messed up my broccoli soup and was trying to figure out how to fix it and found this recipe. It will be on my menu soon :drool

Wisconsin Cheese and Beer Soup

* 1 tablespoon butter
* 1 pound smoked sausage, chopped
* 2 cups chopped onions
* 2 cups diced carrots
* 1 cup thinly sliced celery
* 1/3 cup flour
* 1 12 ounce bottle lager beer
* 3 cups chicken stock
* 2 cups diced red potatoes
* 2 cups milk
* 3 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
* 1 teaspoon dried thyme
* 2 teaspoons Worcestershire
* 2 teaspoons sweet Hungarian paprika
* 2 tablespoons tomato paste
* Salt, pepper and Tobasco to taste
* 1/4 cup thinly sliced scallions

In a heavy 4-quart Dutch oven, melt butter over medium heat and cook sausage 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add onions, carrots and celery and cook 5 minutes. Stir in flour, coating vegetables well. Stir in flour, coating vegetables well. Stir in beer and stock and bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer until soup thickens slightly, about 5 minutes. Add potatoes and cook 10-15 minutes or until tender. Stir in milk, cheese, thyme, Worcestershire, paprika and tomato paste. Continue stirring until cheese is melted ans soup is smooth.
Season with salt, pepper, and Tobasco, if desired. Garnish with scallions. Serves 6-8.

woodwzrd

Power Conserver
Reaction score
As a pure bred cheese head i must say there is no finer soup that i know of :D That is a little different than what I am used to though. I don't recall ever having it with potatoes and sausage in it but I'll bet it would be just as good. To make it real Wisconsin BEER cheese you must use Leinies or Point beer ;)

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
LOL this is funny cause I was watching Master Chef with Ramsey and a guy made this soup and every chef except the super fat guy said it sucked LOL yea he was eliminated the first round with this icky soup

I would love to try it tho :p

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
:lol: what do those snobs know!
I'm sure I would mess with the recipe :p

Wood- I have never even heard of those beers - they are local? So what's the traditional recipe?

Rhettsgreygal

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
woodwzrd said:
As a pure bred cheese head i must say there is no finer soup that i know of :D That is a little different than what I am used to though. I don't recall ever having it with potatoes and sausage in it but I'll bet it would be just as good. To make it real Wisconsin BEER cheese you must use Leinies or Point beer ;)
Spotted Cow is even better.:D

woodwzrd

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Rhett, I have never had spotted cow. My brother has and I know he likes it. I heard about it after I quite drinking.

Java Leinies an d Point are 2 fairly well known Wisconsin brews. I will have to dig out my recipe and take a look at it. It has been a long time since I have made batch. It is pretty close to the one you have just without the sausage and potatoes.

ChickenToes

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
As a Wisconsinite, it's practically sacrilege to say it, but Leinies....ew.

I would have to second Spotted Cow. I'm not much of a beer drinker, but I've heard a lot of good things about New Glarus Brewery. My mother-in-laws favorite is Dancing Man.