Wisconsin/Zone 4 Planting times

chickenchalupa

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
With all this warm weather we're having here, I'm don't know when to plant things in case the weather holds. When are you guys planting stuff? Indoors or out? Any advice/imput would be appreciated! Thanks!

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Find out your last frost date and then follow the seed packet directions for direct seeding, inside seeding and transplanting, etc. Just work your way backwards on the time from your last frost date. Good luck!

hwillm1977

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We live right on the border of Zone 4 and 5, and our last frost date is June 7... so tomatoes and peppers (things that aren't cold tolerant at all) go out mid-june, but we can plant lettuce, beans... (things that can stand a little cold) in early-mid may.

Like Me&thegals said you just need to find out the local 'last frost day' and then you'll be able to figure out when you can plant from there. Your zone 4 may be completely different from my zone 4, I'm in eastern Canada.

edited to add: if you're planting inside (I plant all my peppers, tomatoes, melons, etc... inside or we'd never have enough of a growing season to harvest any) and the seed packet says 'start indoors 6-8 weeks before last frost', choose the 6 weeks before. If you plant indoors too early you can end up with leggy, straggly plants.