wishing the pounds away

ninny

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
So i have been going to the gym once sometimes twice a day. I've been watching what i eat. Yet i have not lost a pound since may. Im annoyed. I dont have much to lose only twenty pounds. I gonna turn the other ten into muscle. I have been toning up nicely but no weight gone. What's the deal? My Doc ran blood work to check my thyroid and other fun stuff. I have wonderful blood work results. So whats the deal?:/

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Muscle weighs more than fat. For all that trimming and shaping you do the inches matter more than the pounds.

Keep up the good work.

:thumbsup

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
Muscle weighs more than fat. For all that trimming and shaping you do the inches matter more than the pounds.

Keep up the good work.

:thumbsup
Muscle doesn't really weigh more than fat, it takes up less space. A pound of fat, and a pound of muscle weigh the same, but don't fill the same volume. You don't want to go so much by weight loss as by size. And, even that's relative.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Have you taken your measurements? Do your clothes fit better? Do you have most of your weight around your middle? Have you gotten on one of those scales that measures body fat percentage? Are you just doing cardio or are you also doing resistance training (weights, etc?) Are you eating refined carbs or drinking sugary drinks?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Give me some info, girl, I'm very good at troubleshooting weight loss issues! Also....any soy in your diet? That can bring it to a halt and takes MONTHS to recover from the effects.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It's a lot harder to lose 10 or 20 pounds when you are close to your goal weight, than it is when you have a LOT to lose. For every pound lost, you need to take in 3500 calories LESS than what your body burns to maintain your weight. If you figure an average of 10-15 calories per pound, that will tell you how much you need to eat to maintain the weight. Subtract 500 calories per day to lose 1 pound a week. However, this can be complicated by our bodies thinking that food is in short supply, because then it reduces the metabolic rate. You are working out, so that should help, providing you are doing cardio exercises. Women are especially efficient at reducing the metabolism, unfortunately. You also may be sabotaging yourself by stressing about it, which can cause all sorts of weird things to happen in your body.

I would say that if you are so close to your ideal weight, and you are eating right and exercising, your body will slim down eventually without you worrying about it. If you have made lifestyle differences rather than going on a "diet", you should have no trouble continuing what you are doing.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I exercised for an hour a day 6 days a week for TWO YEARS and never lost a pound.

"exercise - as necessary as it is for us -- won't make us thin.

"I think fitness and medical professionals are doing a disservice to their clients when they position exercise as a way to lose weight," said Jennifer Portnick, personal trainer and certified aerobic exercise instructor at Feeling Good Fitness in the Bay area. "Becoming active may or may not result in a change in weight."

But few of us realize that the most significant body of research shows exercise doesn't appreciably change body weights at all."

But wait...it gets better!
"many studies have found women actually gain weight and body fat with exercise. In another study in which obese women did 6 months of aerobic exercise 4 to 5 times a week, one-third of them gained as much as 15 pounds of body fat, with the average of the gainers being 8 pounds. That's body FAT, not weight, emphasized Glenn Gaesser, Ph.D., associate professor of exercise physiology at the University of Virginia, a Fellow of the American College of Sports Medicine and author of Big Fat Lies: The Truth About Your Weight and Your Health (Gurze Books, 2002). "Just to make it clear that the weight gain was not muscle, as fitness buffs might assert. Thus a true skeptic might ask whether "exercise" has contributed to the obesity epidemic!!""
more

Gary Taubes

I started low carbing and dropped 80 lbs with exercise only once a week.

S

sunsaver

Y'all dont get too jealous, but during the last six months i have gone from a 38 inch waist to a 32 inch waist, with out even trying. All i did was change my diet and snack on fruits or veggies instead of processed foods like: cookies, cake, crackers, bread, corn chips, potato chips, or any other man-made foods. Chocolate is okay in small quantities. No sugar, no sweet beverages, no toast or biscuits. All the bacon and eggs i can eat. All the salad i want, nuts, and fruits. No fast food at all. Gourmet meals with wine and pasta are nearly every day. Just getting rid of the corn and flour products, and sugar, has caused a slow but steady wieght loss. I don't go hungry but eat foods that have fewer calories by volume. I used to eat a whole bag of chips and still feel hungry. The bag of chips was 2,000 calories, but not enough volume in my stomach to feel full. A huge plate of sliced tomatoes and cucumbers has about 200 calories, but is such a volume that i feel full. I also spend nearly my entire day walking around the garden. I just bought some new pants because i thought my weight loss was over, but now those are too big for me. The low calorie, high volume food is like a stomach staple, that or i got a tapeworm! :lol: