Wolf-Kim: My head is spinning!

Wolf-Kim

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wow, been so busy lately!

The garden is tilled, 9 tomato hybrids were planted today. Five other varieties of tomato, a variety of cucumber, and some bird house gourd seeds are coming Monday. Then today at Lowes we bought eggplant, squash, bell peppers, and jalepeno. We've planted lemon thyme, greek oregano, and lavender. Most of the plants we have purchased are heirlooms, so hopefully we'll only pay for them once.

In a couple of weeks our 30 Cornish Cross are coming to live in their chicken tractor.

Also, today, I was offered a couple of pigs. 40lb runts that someone was getting rid of and they were silly enough to ask "if" I want them. LOL So this week, we are repairing the horse pasture fence to accomodate porkers as well.

I get a trio of muscovies next Sunday. Yay!

And except for the rabbits, no rodents have been spotted in the barn.

A friend of ours has been trying to get me interested in aquaponics(his latest project) so we'll be adding catfish to our empty koi pond. Hopefully, we can grow catfish through the summer and then maybe, just maybe raise rainbow trout through the winter. We'll see, that project is still way way up in the air.

Life is busy, very busy, but good.

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
Wolf-Kim said:

The garden is tilled, 9 tomato hybrids were planted today. Five other varieties of tomato, a variety of cucumber, and some bird house gourd seeds are coming Monday. Then today at Lowes we bought eggplant, squash, bell peppers, and jalepeno. We've planted lemon thyme, greek oregano, and lavender. Most of the plants we have purchased are heirlooms, so hopefully we'll only pay for them once.

In a couple of weeks our 30 Cornish Cross are coming to live in their chicken tractor.

Also, today, I was offered a couple of pigs. 40lb runts that someone was getting rid of and they were silly enough to ask "if" I want them. LOL So this week, we are repairing the horse pasture fence to accomodate porkers as well.

A friend of ours has been trying to get me interested in aquaponics(his latest project) so we'll be adding catfish to our empty koi pond. Hopefully, we can grow catfish through the summer and then maybe, just maybe raise rainbow trout through the winter. We'll see, that project is still way way up in the air.

Kim, Kim, Kim. Rabbits are not rodents.

But wow. You have been busy.

Wolf-Kim

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
dacjohns said:
Wolf-Kim said:

Whoops, learn something new everyday. I assumed they were rodents because of how prolific they are and because like rodents their teeth continually grow. So while I never read or was told they were rodents, I made a scientific guess, a wrong guess. LOL

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
Wolf-Kim said:
dacjohns said:
Wolf-Kim said:

Whoops, learn something new everyday. I assumed they were rodents because of how prolific they are and because like rodents their teeth continually grow. So while I never read or was told they were rodents, I made a scientific guess, a wrong guess. LOL
You are not completely wrong, I also always considered them rodents, just the way they look and act and multiply. LOL

Here is what I found on Wikipedia.

Rabbits and hares were formerly classified in the order Rodentia (rodent) until 1912, when they were moved into a new order Lagomorpha. This order also includes pikas.

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I've got everything ready to start raising catfish for aquaponics! That would be great if you do it too! I wish I could raise trout during the winter, but I don't think it's possible around here, too warm.