Wolf-Kim: My head is spinning!

Wolf-Kim

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Well, I thought I'd sit and wait until I had my own farm to start a journal, that way I could share my journey from the beginning. However, I realized that my journey and dabblings into Self Suffiency have already begun!

I am 20 years old and married to my husband who will soon be turning 21(November 13). We are perfectly matched, it is a blessing. We both enjoy working towards self suffiency, I'm the brains and he's the brawn. I researched making an incubator, searched for the parts and he put the pieces together. He is my love, my partner,and my strength.

I have many chickens. Many of you knew me from BYC first. I raise them for eggs, meat, stock, money, and going to learn to tie the cockerels feathers for fly fishing.

I also own some Coturnix quail for meat. They lay plenty of eggs, but they are quite the hassle. We do pickle their eggs. :)

I also have 5 Cayuga ducks. Originally, their purpose was to be meat and eggs, but now they are mainly pets. Perhaps next year, I'll raise enough that I will be able to "look the other way" while hubby puts some in the freezer. LOL

And recently added geese, the bring my total to 9! I hope to work on live harvested down, but still in the process of getting on friendly terms with my new friends.

Also recently added were 4 rabbits, 3 does and a buck. They will be for meat, fur, and manure.

Beneath them, are there fellow counterparts, the worms. While I only have the bins filling now, the worms will come shortly. Worms, of course, will be used for vermiculite and fishing. :p

We have a small garden, in which we grow blackberries, strawberries, tomatoes, squash, sunflowers, and cucumbers. We recently added a few blueberries, we'll see if they are still there come spring.

And that is the start to my little hobby farm.

delia_peterson

Covered in Compost
Reaction score
:welcome Hi! I have 5 hens and a roo. They were meant to be "meat birds" also, besides egg layers..lol! now they are pets..

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Hi Wolf-Kim! :frow

That is a wonderful start to a hobby farm! Imagine what it will be like when you are my age!! I just got my own farm last year and I'm 35+. I grew up on a small farm (chickens, horses, land and a big garden) and have had farm like animals stabled here and there. But last year I finally got it all together on one piece of property. (Horses, sheep, chickens, ducks, rabbits and finally a big-girl garden.) Yea!

You got a nice, early start, good for you! I know I've said this before, but :welcome I look forward to reading about your adventures in SS. :)

Wolf-Kim

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thanks everyone.

I hope to be adding a few beehives. I've been doing a lot of research on them, and I think that I would like to go with a few of the traditional hives and maybe one or two of the topbar's for wax.

I would like to add a cow, but hubby isn't quite to sure about that step yet. He would prefer us to have our own place first. :hide

So, bees are the next step. Luckily an old friend of mine's son has started a new business of bee removal and hives. :D If that's not a sign, I don't know what is.. ;)

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
:welcome

I agree, great to see more 'younger' people around!

You have a great start so far!

Might I recommend some goats though? smaller than a cow.. :lol:

Wolf-Kim

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Blackbird said:
:welcome

I agree, great to see more 'younger' people around!

You have a great start so far!

Might I recommend some goats though? smaller than a cow.. :lol:
We've considered both, the only problem is they are a bit tough to keep in a fence. We have an electric wire fence for the horses, so a cow will be a bit easier to keep in.

Hubby had goats when he was younger, came home to a pack of dogs having ripped them to shreds. Cows tend to be a little less "predator" prone.

Also hoped to use the extra cow's milk to raise a calf and maybe even a couple of pigs. :)