Wood burning savings

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
modern_pioneer said:
I asked a fellow down the road about gathering downed wood up on his property, no answer yet, and I am still asking around. I can purchase slab wood from the sawmill for 20.00 a bundle which is about 3/4 to 7/8 of a cord.
We can buy a permit here for $30 to collect wood all year at the forest.

modern_pioneer said:
Like your electric bill, last year I saved somewhere between 120-135.00 a month I don't remember.

I know natural gas prices have dropped since last year, so depending on cost next year if I burn wood or not.
We just got a note with our electric bill that rates are going up as from the end of January.

Country Momma

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
We just hooked up our woodburner two weeks ago. The cost of fuel oil was crazy! We were spending about 100/week for fuel to keep the temp. at 63' in the house. We have little ones, so I would always just bundle them up with warm clothes durning the day. Now with the woodburner my 4yr old daughter runs around in shorts (sometimes no shirt) because it is so hot in the house (74'average). We love it!!! Even if we had to buy wood, it would be cheaper than fuel. Now I just have to figure out how I can utilize it for cooking.

kcsunshine

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I would so love to have a wood-burning cook stove like my grandmother and my mother used when I was small.

Organics North

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Hi, every house I have owned I installed a high end non catalytic HIGH EFFICIENCY wood stove. Always did the install my self, and would say with the pipe at $100 a foot cost would come out around $1500 to $2000.

Our current house (10+ years), with the heating season being from October through May. I think it would cost at least $2000 per year in gas?

So to heat the last 10 years it would have cost $20,000.00 Instead I spent $2000 on a high end super efficient stove.
So I saved $18,000. (Free wood of course.)

Also for those of you concerned about the CO2 emissions..... Burning wood is very very earth friendly as it is part of the active carbon cycle. When a tree dies and rots it will emit the same C02 / carbon as if you burn it. Know on the other hand burning FOSSIL fuel, that carbon/CO2 has been locked up for millions of years and by burning it you add it back into the active carbon cycle instead of leaving it locked up in the ground.

Grow trees! Burn trees! Yes yes yes..

Your Tree Farmer,

ON

Ohioann

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We use a small wood burner in the living room and let the rest of the house be cool. We also have a programmable thermostat on our oil furnace so we can dial it down when we are not at home. Remember to put a pan of water on your woodburner (teapot,etc) to help humidify the air. We dry clothes out doors during the good weather and in the house when it's rainy. In the winter we put the folding drying racks right in the living room near the woodburner to utilize the heat. Have probably used the dryer 5 times in the past year for emergencies. We have our own wood source and have had the woodburner for about 15 years so it's all free heat by this time!

The Vail Benton's

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
DH is trying to find us a nice bargain on a woodstove. We don't turn our heat on here at all during the winter and it is often colder indoors than outside once the sun comes up. I have a feeling that we will be burning wood with the doors and windows open to keep from cooking ourselves :gig

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
modern_pioneer said:
I asked a fellow down the road about gathering downed wood up on his property, no answer yet, and I am still asking around. I can purchase slab wood from the sawmill for 20.00 a bundle which is about 3/4 to 7/8 of a cord.

At that price I would be stashing cords so fast your head would be spinning. No kidding. I would put up about 15 or 20 cords.

My goal is to have enough wood stored to get through at least 3 winters without having to make a run.

Organics North

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Mackay said:
modern_pioneer said:

At that price I would be stashing cords so fast your head would be spinning. No kidding. I would put up about 15 or 20 cords.

My goal is to have enough wood stored to get through at least 3 winters without having to make a run.
What kind of wood is that slab wood? $20 is pretty good, I would get a bunch if it is hardwood.
on

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
All we have to burn around here is pine and cottonwood so no mater what it is I would stash it.

Will be starting to plant my woodlot this spring. My husband says I'm a nut but its not for us but for the grandkids .... Wouldn't it be nice not to need to go any further for a load of wood than your own land? .... but cottonwood is ready for harvest in 7 to 10 years and we need that to keep the chiminey clean, it burns real hot.

starting with 20 ponderosa and 20 cottonwood