wood cook stove

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I had my eyes on the Volgolzang Kitchen Stove for a while and our gas heater went out in the living room, so I wanted a kitchen wood stove, but couldn't completely sell DH on the idea. He did find a small kitchen stove......Volgolzang pulled the model off their site. Well we debated for a few weeks and I finally consented to his choice of a gas heater, which looks like a fireplace.....stupid for someone of my way of thinking.....its nuttin but a fake. Why don't we put up a fake chimney too? But we got in the heater and he tried to connect it and the valve that goes from NG to LP is stuck half way between, so he wanted me to send it back......done. So we back where we started. We going to have a cold front come thru (yeah, spare me the OMGs, I know its not as bad as ya'lls), this weekend, so we going to have to rely on the potbelly and one single gas heater to keep us warm enough.....we will survive. But I'm trying to figure a way to use this situation to my advantage to get my kitchen stove.
I'm partial to cast iron. Anyone know of a company that has small kitchen stoves?

S

sunsaver

I have the cheap, Vogelzang boxwood cast-iron stove, and i love it. It heats the whole house, and it's easy to cook on. It's not the most beautiful stove in the world, but it has that old time look about it. Also, you can clean and oil the round lids, and grill directly on top of them. Hot dogs, burgers, quesodillas, etc. Talk about making the house smell good, try grilling a steak indoors! Just a note of caution: you must use black stove pipe indoors (NOT GALVANIZED!!), and if it's painted, its a good idea to remove all of the paint with Strypease or other paint remover. If you don't, your house will fill with fumes.

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have a standard sized boxwood also, but we upgraded to a pot-belly because of the increase in btu's needed. House too big for the boxwood, but it was a help and it certainly made a difference.
I was hoping for a kitchen stove with an oven. I do have a single burner on the potbelly, and although I haven't used it to cook, I know I can because it gets even hotter than the boxwood did.
I am doing google searches and all the kitchen stoves are outta this world. Just a couple of years ago, I could have gotten one for about 800 from Volgelsang. Should have done it. Maybe I'll luck out and find one someone wants to discard, locally. Highly doubt it though.
This is crazy......where did the kitchen stoves go? It could keep me warm and appeal to my sense of SS. I got a conspiracy theory going here. Maybe I should be glad I have the potbelly, plus a boxwood in storage.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
sunsaver said:
I have the cheap, Vogelzang boxwood cast-iron stove, and i love it. It heats the whole house, and it's easy to cook on. It's not the most beautiful stove in the world, but it has that old time look about it. Also, you can clean and oil the round lids, and grill directly on top of them. Hot dogs, burgers, quesodillas, etc. Talk about making the house smell good, try grilling a steak indoors! Just a note of caution: you must use black stove pipe indoors NOT GALVANIZED!!), (and if it's painted, its a good idea to remove all of the paint with Strypease or other paint remover. If you don't, your house will fill with fumes.
Why not galvanized?

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanx. I like it, but I knew DH wanted cast iron. I did look furthur and found one that was mostly cast iron and told him about it, but he started complaining. He was hoping for something easy, that stays lit......gas. While I always thinking something real bad is about to happen (TSHTF kinda thing). Well, I asked him to check it out when he gets home 2nite. We working opposite hours. If I'm wrong.......good. But what if it does happen. Boy will I miss having an oven. Sorry guys...I'm not really much of a political person or anything, but I just think we screwed and besides I'm always handling every situation with the additude of 'kill 2 birds with one stone.' If I gotta stay warm, why not have something I can also cook and bake on.....besides, it will be an awesome conversation piece.
sufficientforme said:
I saw this one on Ebay and thought the price was right
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wood-Burnin...122?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ab2e6e092

I also really like this stores

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wood-Burnin...762?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ab33d927a

I will have a wood cook stove someday!!!

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My hubby gets no say when we retire, it is not feasible being a military family on the move now but I really want one! I could not agree more, it would not only keep you warm, it cooks great tasting meals and would provide an interesting topic of conversation as to why you want to live in the dark ages among family and friends :D

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I know.....they mostly don't get it. If and when 'something' happens, at least I have a few nice toys, but otherwise, I do have much smaller gas/electricity bills, by comparison to someone who lives in modern times.
gd........I have never read any studies, but I have been told by my brother (who knows everything.....sarcasm), that you don't cook over anything galvanized, because it either poisons the food or has the potential for increasing your chances of getting cancer.....I forgot which. But in this case he did sound believable. I don't have anything galvanized in my stove connections though. Its actually stove pipe here.

S

sunsaver

~gd said:
sunsaver said:
I have the cheap, Vogelzang boxwood cast-iron stove, and i love it. It heats the whole house, and it's easy to cook on. It's not the most beautiful stove in the world, but it has that old time look about it. Also, you can clean and oil the round lids, and grill directly on top of them. Hot dogs, burgers, quesodillas, etc. Talk about making the house smell good, try grilling a steak indoors! Just a note of caution: you must use black stove pipe indoors NOT GALVANIZED!!), (and if it's painted, its a good idea to remove all of the paint with Strypease or other paint remover. If you don't, your house will fill with fumes.
Why not galvanized?
Galvanized outside the home is okay. Galvanized inside almost killed me. I didn't know that galvanized pipe, when heated, oxidizes rapidly, producing zinc oxide fumes. The posionous fumes gave me severe heavy metal poisoning. I felt like i had been in a car accident with a frieght train. Every bone in my bone in my body hurt, like the influenza on steroids. Only shingles was more painful. DON'T USE GALVANIZED STOVE PIPE INDOORS. :old

P.S. All types of heavy metal poisoning have been liked to cancer, so Rhonda's mom was right.

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
This is getting really ugly on my end. DH didn't look at the stoves, I was considering yesterday. He called me at work and told me he had found the heater he wanted but that I probably wouldn't like the price....then told me it was 1,000....gas. Then I agreed with him...I didn't like it. So he told me he had already ordered it and that he wasn't 12 years old and needed my permission to buy something he wanted with money he earned, so I told him when I got home, I would just order what I wanted also and that there was nothing more to talk about and that I was mad and would do some reading to relax because I had already started the day bad and now I needed to find something to make me happy. So we spent a couple of hours without communication between us and he arrived on his bridge, before I left mine and he called me like all was fine....silent treatment from me. He asked if I was still mad....YES!!! and he told me it wasn't true; he hadn't ordered it. Told him I didn't believe him.
So I came home. My purse was in my bedroom, but my wallet was on the table....why was my wallet on the table? Someone musta needed something in it, because I didn't leave it there. Something like credit or debit card #s maybe. Well I believe I don't have a heater on order now, but I bet I had one a few hours ago, before someone hurried up and cancelled their order.
I don't wanna be the wife from Hell, but I don't live in a palace and I know I can get a gas heater for under 200.....he should be happy I consented to that other one that needs to be returned. When he found me, there was a fireplace in my parent's living room and we had a logcabin in the woods for our own enjoyment.....why suddenly he thinks I have a problem splitting firelogs?