Wood furnace?

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I'm not looking for an outside furnace. We already have a wood stove. But, if I could find something that I could put inside that takes less wood and produces less ash, I'd love it! I get tired of cutting and splitting wood.
Denser, heavier wood gives more heat per unit of volume - but the denser woods, in my experience, leave more ash. It sounds like you want efficiency, and because of that I think maybe some kind of rocket-stove mass heater might be the only thing that would fit the bill. Paul Wheaton is our rocket-stove expert here, right? Not sure how much he's posting these days, but you might want to search his name and send him a PM.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Joel_BC said:
I'm not looking for an outside furnace. We already have a wood stove. But, if I could find something that I could put inside that takes less wood and produces less ash, I'd love it! I get tired of cutting and splitting wood.
Denser, heavier wood gives more heat per unit of volume - but the denser woods, in my experience, leave more ash. It sounds like you want efficiency, and because of that I think maybe some kind of rocket-stove mass heater might be the only thing that would fit the bill. Paul Wheaton is our rocket-stove expert here, right? Not sure how much he's posting these days, but you might want to search his name and send him a PM.
That's why I was asking about this furnace this guy was telling me about. It sounded like some kind of rocket stove. Almost no emissions, and very little ash.

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Denim Deb said:
That's why I was asking about this furnace this guy was telling me about. It sounded like some kind of rocket stove. Almost no emissions, and very little ash.
Hmm... That's what confused me a little in your first post. Because, while I realized you were inquiring about something different from what you now have, I got the sense you wanted to buy a new type of stove - and I've only heard of people building their own rocket-stove mass heaters.

I was initially trying to give info about high-efficiency heaters that are available for purchase.

Are you willing to build your own installation?

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I don't know that the insurance would go for it. Basically, I was hoping someone on here would know about them so I'd be able to look into them and see how much they cost, installation, etc. I tried googling them, but didn't have much luck since I'm not really sure what they're called.