Wood shavings and shredded paper

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
DS's school has a paper shredder in the office and once they filled a bin bag, they give the kids raffle tickets and a chance to win the shredded paper, which is think is simply wonderful! DS was the lucky winner a few weeks ago, came home VERY proud of his bounty.

Since then I went to see a friend just after he had some logs cut with a chainsaw and was about to clean up the resulting mess of shavings. I asked what he's going to do with it and he said he's going to throw it in the bin? I said no way! So I have now a big bag of wood shavings and a bin bag of shredded paper sitting here. I was thinking of using it for the chickens for their nest boxes and have been doing so, but was wondering what else I can use this for. The garden? If so, after the chickens messed it up, or should I compost it?

@Beekissed @freemotion @frustratedearthmother @baymule

Who am I forgetting… Garden people, give me your thoughts, please? What would you guys do with this stuff?

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I've used shredded paper in deep litter before...you got to go light on it as it will clump and mold if you don't. It composts well, but same thing applies...if you put it in too heavy it will clump and mat down and that makes it hard to turn and aerate.

Good stuff, though, so I'd use it here and there in the chicken litter until you compost it all and then apply the compost to the garden.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
I would use it to bed the chicken boxes first, and then compost it. Then use it on the garden!

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
DH has been making fire logs out of it- Wetting it down to a texture similar to papier-mache and then compressing it, then letting it dry.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I need a worm bed lol DS brought two more bags of the stuff home. The chickens were NOT impressed with it in their nest boxes and scratched it all out, so it got blown around the yard, making a huge mess.

At the moment I'm leaning towards the fire log idea. I'm not a good fire maker, so any help is appreciated!