Woodstoves, We're going to be looking for one soon!

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
I knowwww. You can buy a woodburner in the same style from Lowes for $389.

Undoubtedly lesser quality, this was an Enviro Wood burner. Really lovely, but I don't think we're ready for something that expensive or upscale.

We're going to see if we can find something cheaper, with the same features, and have it installed privately. We are in a good position as we only need 10ft of chimney length, and a prefab ceramic pad.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Can you install it yourself or do you live somewhere that they require an inspection of the installation? If so, could you do it yourself and have someone come and inspect it?

How many years would you have to burn wood to make up for the cost of the wood burner and installation?

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
Can you install it yourself or do you live somewhere that they require an inspection of the installation? If so, could you do it yourself and have someone come and inspect it?

How many years would you have to burn wood to make up for the cost of the wood burner and installation?
Well, installed probably 2 years more than likely 3 or 4, our oil fill up is something like $1200 for the 900 L tank

We've never installed a woodstove before, and my mum is hesitant to do it herself despite it looking fairly easy to do.

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
By California standards that would be a good deal depending on the amount of pipe needed if you had to do that. That's why I keep putting it off and off- just never works that the money is in place when it is reasonable to do it.
Are Canadian dollars more or less than US dollars these days?

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Have you done any inquiring at your local hardware store, that carries the supplies you would need, about how to go about it? They may be able to help you a lot. If my mom and dad can install the kit that is needed (76 and 74 yrs.old...and Dad has Alzheimer's) to go through your wall/ceiling~anyone can!

I could see where the double brick wall would be a big obstacle, but maybe you could hire a man to measure and make the hole for you. The rest you could manage yourself, as its just fitting pipes/kit together and brackets to hold the pipe on the outside of the house.

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
Have you done any inquiring at your local hardware store, that carries the supplies you would need, about how to go about it? They may be able to help you a lot. If my mom and dad can install the kit that is needed (76 and 74 yrs.old...and Dad has Alzheimer's) to go through your wall/ceiling~anyone can!

I could see where the double brick wall would be a big obstacle, but maybe you could hire a man to measure and make the hole for you. The rest you could manage yourself, as its just fitting pipes/kit together and brackets to hold the pipe on the outside of the house.
That's not a bad idea, the double brick actually might be easy to take on, since it's such a small hole we wouldn't need extra support for the wall, and in reality we could just pull bricks out, and then replace as needed afterwards.

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
We live in a wood frame home with wood, covered by carpet, floors. The previous owners of our home had a wood stove area set up already. They used bricks to form the base and the backing area (they also reinforced the floor area).

The central unit was added at some point after the home was built, and they placed the air intake over the spot for the wood stove. That way warm air could be circulated by only running the central unit's fan. Honestly though, it doesn't work as well as I thought it would. We get better heat circulation by using the ceiling fan in reverse, and by using small doorway fans.

When we had our original pot belly stove, we installed the re-claimer in the flue and it worked really well. We tried it with the newer stove (as seen in the photo), but found that it restricted the draft too much and allowed too much build up. We have since removed it. The potbelly stove was nowhere near airtight and allowed a lot more draft than the more efficient stove we use now.

WoodStove.jpg

I have been wanting to try one of the stirling engine fans that need no electricity and run off the heat of the stove. I am just a bit hesitant to invest over a hundred dollars on a fan, that may or may not move enough air.

The current stove works well enough to heat our 1400 ft. home to a comfortable level and we haven't used the propane central heat for 5 years now. I probably wouldn't buy this exact model stove again, though. It sits too low for me to clean and maintain easily (I'm old and I don't bend over very well). Also, the built in fan motor was noisy and then it went out after two years of use. We don't use the internal fan now, it was just for circulating heat from the stove, anyway.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
$3800

:barnie
:th

time to truly check before buying.....also ASK around for a handyman in the area that can do the installation.....he will be cheaper and have the knowledge than the "store" installation.

ask a neighbor who has woodstove heat etc.....just ask around. There is always ways to save money on things like this!!

never rush into this.....you must shop around. learn more before spending hard earned money and going into debt. I know there is cheaper options out there for you.

just keep looking.....and let us know what you find out!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Here's a tip....being a single mom, I have found that, if I mention a particularly hard project at church, some of the men will suggest handy info and even offer to show you how to do it! If I were an old widow, they would even come and put it in FOR me....but they know I'm pretty handy myself and the whole single woman thingy seems to always be a threat to the church wives (don't know why~I'm very, very content without a man!). :rolleyes: :lol: :p