Wool pillow

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Anyone ever use....or even feel in a store....a wool-stuffed bed pillow? I STILL haven't done anything with my fleeces and am thinking of making these. I was going to start saving feathers, but always forget on processing day.....could it be the smell?? :sick

I may pick up some ticking on Saturday. Here is what I want to make: http://www.google.com/products/cata...=X&ei=oOR4TauOBMyftwfA27n-Bg&ved=0CFAQ8wIwBA#

See the prices? And people ask me why I make everything! :p

I will stuff ticking with the washed wool, then make or buy a quilted cover, and use an allergy cover, since the pillows can't be washed. We really need new pillows. I wonder if I can just put a zipper on the ticking so the pillows can be re-stuffed when needed? Hmmmm.....

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
I have a smallish throw pillow on the sofa made using leftover bits n bobs of wool quilt batting, does that sort of in a way count?

You can't let it get repeatedly squished into a funny shape because it starts to take that shape permanently, I suppose maybe thru felting?, plus like a wool-batt quilt you have to use SUPER high thread-count fabric or just accept that there will be little wool fibers constantly working their way through the outer covering.

But it is comfy, and warm to rest your head on, and has stayed fairly springy despite much abuse, which is why I keep it around even though the stuffing *has* felted into a really weird shape and it looks pretty sad LOL

You do know that if you fill your house with woollen things, you WILL get an ineradicable infestation of wool moths, yes? They can be kept out of the valuable occasional-use stuff like clothes and (to some extent) winter blankets by means of airtight storage and cedar chests and periodically freezing the items, but stuff that is just out all the time tends to breed them up and you are likely to just have to live with it to some extent. Maybe you have already discovered this, but, just a heads-up ;)

Pat

aggieterpkatie

Swiss Army Wife
Reaction score
Whoa! That's an expensive pillow! :lol:

I would think zippers on the ticking would be very handy! And the allergy cover sounds like a great idea. Let us know how the pillows turn out!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Will do, aggie! And Pat, thanks for the feedback on your pillow, that is what I suspected and why I thought a zipper would be good, to add more wool later, maybe. Since fleeces are free, I suppose the pillow could be completely re-stuffed at some point if the ticking is in good shape....my dad has a pillow (feather) his mother made over 50 years ago and I hope to inherit it one day (years and years from now!)

I've had wool clothing for decades and have never had wool moths. Having lived in several different places, too. Hmm. Just fortunate, maybe? I hope it is the same with the pillows. I have battled meal moths in the past and solved that with glass jars for all grain items. I certainly will freeze my wool items if needed....that can be done yearly by simply hanging things in the garage in Dec-Jan! Or bag stuff and put it in the two downstairs freezers.