Woollybear

Rammy

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Im in middle Tn and am seeing alot of all black woolyworms ( thats what we called them growing up). Tn isnt known for having bad winters but Ive noticed it seems to indicate the winter weather pretty good.
Other folklore indicators seem to be the amount of foggy mornings in August are suppose to tell how many snow storms the area will have.
If wasp nests are low or high is another. Same with squirrel nests I think. Walnut trees losing thier leaves at certain times are suppose to indicate how bad the winter may be also. Spider webs are suppose to tell, too.
Interesting.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Without TV and such, people used to spend a lot more time observing the world around them. We owe them a huge debt for much of what we know today about the world we live in.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
A hard winter here is snow. That usually hangs around 3 days and is gone. Ice makes it worse. Since we seldom have to fool with freezing temperatures for longer than a day or two at a time, we don’t have the heated water buckets and so on. So I haul boiling water to melt ice and water all the animals. For the horses and the steer, I’ll clean and fill the water tanks and then can just bust ice for them. A week of that and that’s usually all, but’s it’s enough!

We haven’t had snow for the past couple of winters, so we are due a cold winter. Sure makes me wish for a fireplace.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I would love that! All this firewood here and no wood burning stove or fireplace! We have a big lightening killed oak tree to take down this winter. I hate waste.

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Have seen several in the last few days and all are at least 1/2 brown bands around the middle....yet it seems that the feelings are that we will have a hard winter since the last couple have been basically snowless.... a couple of 4 inch snows that only lasted a day or two and then melted.

TexasLisa

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
CrealCritter, I haven't seen a persimmon tree since I left Indiana. I LOVE persimmons. It just tickles me when people say persimmons are not fit for consumption but is raccoon and possum food.