WOOT! Gas bill waaaay down!

poppycat

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Our gas heating bills nearly did us in last winter, so I switched their "level pay" plan where they average your previous years usage. I pay the same amount every month, and then they read your meter twice a year and you pay the difference.

Since then I've been line drying clothes whenever possible (dryer is gas) and turning the thermostat way down at night. The gas company read our meter this week and our usage is down so much that we don't have to pay anything for the next two months. YEAAAAAAAA!

:weee

BTW, I know I haven't been around much lately, I've been working a lot. But things are slowing down now so I should be able to visit more :)

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
We have equal billing here too, and I like it. We are read every other month, they assess and adjust every three or four months. Last summer, I had three free months.

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
That is great news. I have really got to get busy on checking my electric and gas usage. I just keep putting it off cause I know I am not going to like it and the family is not going to like it which is going to make me very unpopular around here. LOL

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Congrats Poppycat, two free months is awesome!

Wanda, my kids and I reviewed our bill last month and compared it to the previous month. They could see that I had already brought it down with a whole lot of nagging. I told them that if they could help me to bring it down another $50 ( our last bill was $322) then I would spring for lunch out and a movie. They liked that idea and jumped on my band wagon. We went thru the house and unplugged everything that we could. We spend our evenings mostly by candlelight, only using lights when we really need to....although in the interest of full disclosure we are all lounging in front of the tv. I light candles all over including along the way to the bathroom and inside the bathroom, so we don't even use lights when we need to go potty :) My middle two are now all over my oldest to keep the lights off. It is nice to have them finally understand!!
Anywho, the point is, if you offer a reward maybe your family will get on board and start cutting back...soon enough it will become habit!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
:ya
:woot
:thumbsup

YOU KNOW I LOVE WHEN YOU GET FREE from the elec. company. Great !! I know you are smiling! :)

My power company doesn't work that way. I get adjusted every year....at renewal time it was always a few dollars up (which was good I thought) or a few years it was a few dollars down. I guess they caught my average pretty good...LOL

I got off fixed and now am paying actual usuage. Knowing that I am now conscious of my usage and line drying, turning temps down, etc....I KNOW I will never be $140 or more again per month.....last 2 mos. have been $80....WOOT!

COOL---lets all take money away from the power company and keep it in our pockets! Our hard earned money deserves to stay with us! :)
LOL

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
FC- $80? Damn girl you are good!

It has been many many years since I have seen a bill that low. Then again we are a family of 6, used to have 6 computers running 24/7 along with 2 fridges and one chest freezer then top that off with family laziness...leaving lights on, cranking up the heater or turning up the Ac. I am actually ok with a little bit of heater usage, at least that is gas! The AC kills me!!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
yea I didn't realize I had it good actually.
My bill was $142 fixed per month. That is still low considering.....I am only 1700 sq ft....no one is home but me most of the day and then I am out at the barns or working, so no tvs on etc.

I took steps and just made it so much lower...WEE

BUT I know with winter I will be about $40-50 per month higher I am sure....like $120-140 at least for Jan and Feb...coldest months.

Lucky in NC cause I get alot of months with no AC and low heat for a long time. No real extremes so that helps me alot! :)

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
Dace said:
Congrats Poppycat, two free months is awesome!

Wanda, my kids and I reviewed our bill last month and compared it to the previous month. They could see that I had already brought it down with a whole lot of nagging. I told them that if they could help me to bring it down another $50 ( our last bill was $322) then I would spring for lunch out and a movie. They liked that idea and jumped on my band wagon. We went thru the house and unplugged everything that we could. We spend our evenings mostly by candlelight, only using lights when we really need to....although in the interest of full disclosure we are all lounging in front of the tv. I light candles all over including along the way to the bathroom and inside the bathroom, so we don't even use lights when we need to go potty :) My middle two are now all over my oldest to keep the lights off. It is nice to have them finally understand!!
Anywho, the point is, if you offer a reward maybe your family will get on board and start cutting back...soon enough it will become habit!
Is it cheaper to buy that many candles than to just turn on the light as needed? Candles seem to be pretty expensive around here.