Word Play Game

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I read about this on another forum this morning.

What words do YOU use for some of the things in your life?

Refrigerator - I call it the fridge
Kleenix is always the word for facial tissue
A washcloth is still called a wash rag, dish cloth is a dish rag
Coke, Pepsi is still called pop, not soda
Dinner is always the evening meal, lunch at noon.

We have a couch, not a sofa
I have to catch myself to say water heater instead of hot water heater or hot water tank
Most of the time, we get our car tags, not license plates

How 'bout you?

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I say soda because it drives my family nuts. Everything is "a coke" to them...Dr. Pepper, Mt. Dew, Sprite, they're ALL COKE!! :hu

When I was in Louisiana a pond was called a "tank."

I say water heater too.

My entryway, I call a foyer.

My moveable kitchen cabinet I call an armoire...because that's actually what it is and I just can't call it a cabinet :p

I have noticed alot of people call a laundry room a utility room...even my mom, but I call it a laundry room.

I call the goat shed the "barn" even though it is a 10x12 which is much more of a shed than barn.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
tobaggan is a hat

poke is a grocery sack

buggy is a grocery cart

soda, not pop ever

I call Tony's truck a car and it drives him crazy...haha...I say car cause mine is a suv car and it is easier to just say, go change the oil in your car and he says TRUCK!!!
oh well

I always just say yard. never back or front. Tony says, where is X, I say in the yard. He has to find it :p

I say fields for my pastures. The goats are in the field, the horse is in the field. pasture is like too long or something to say

I call all dogs --mutts or muttley

hmm will think of more

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Marianne said:

Refrigerator - I call it the fridgeIce box guess my age
Kleenix is always the word for facial tissueTP
A washcloth is still called a wash rag, dish cloth is a dish ragcloth unless it is a rag that I intend to throw our
Coke, Pepsi is still called pop, not sodapepsi
Dinner is always the evening meal, lunch at noon.Supper at night Dinner is formal at either noon or night

We have a couch, not a sofaDavenport
I have to catch myself to say water heater instead of hot water heater or hot water tankwater heater
Most of the time, we get our car tags, not license platesNC is tight, I used my last plate for 11 years, swiched type of vehicle and got a new plate. Note plate not plateS, rear only. and they mail the STICKER if you send the money ~gd

How 'bout you?

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
couch, loveseat and recliner

To me a Davenport is just that, a davenport. they are shaped different than a couch right?

CheerioLounge

Dessert Dreamer
Reaction score
Marianne said:

Refrigerator - I call it the fridge
Kleenix is always the word for facial tissue
A washcloth is still called a wash rag, dish cloth is a dish rag
Coke, Pepsi is still called pop, not soda
Dinner is always the evening meal, lunch at noon.

We have a couch, not a sofa
I have to catch myself to say water heater instead of hot water heater or hot water tank
Most of the time, we get our car tags, not license plates

How 'bout you?
Fridge, tissue, rag(until I got my first job at McDonald's, now it's cloth), soda, breakfast lunch & dinner, couch(my dad called it the divan(sp?), water heater. In CA you keep the plate and they mail the tags.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Beats me. I thought it was a brand name. I just have a vague memory of someone talking about their Davenport and Frigidaire.

Thought of a few more:

Here's it's always coffee, never java
Bag instead of sack

People in this area say 'fetch' instead of 'go get'. Hey, fetch that hammer for me. :D
and 'crick' instead of 'creek'
and '36 highway' instead of 'highway 36'
and 'tote' instead of 'carry'

and one of my personal favorites was when I heard a guy say that he had "chorin' to do", lots of work and chores to do.

Yes, my mom always called it a 'divan', too. I forgot about that one.

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
It's funny to me atleast, but growing up in the Pine Barrens of South Jersey most people around me used "crick" and I always used "creek"...to me, a "crick" was a "catch" in the neck and water flowing was a "creek"...

Guess this explains being the black sheep of the family! :celebrate

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
I say soda because it drives my family nuts. Everything is "a coke" to them...Dr. Pepper, Mt. Dew, Sprite, they're ALL COKE!! :hu

When I was in Louisiana a pond was called a "tank." NC pond=lake. Creek and trace? I have been here 28 years and still don't know the difference

I say water heater too.

My entryway, I call a foyer.I just wish I had one!

My moveable kitchen cabinet I call an armoire...because that's actually what it is and I just can't call it a cabinet :p

I have noticed alot of people call a laundry room a utility room...even my mom, but I call it a laundry room.But my Utility room has the main fuse box, the master water shut off, The phone line enters the house there and so does the cable from DISH network There is even a chute to dunp trash into a outside can [I keep that screwed shut to keep out both 2 and 4 legged varmit], Oh ya it does have the laundry...

I call the goat shed the "barn" even though it is a 10x12 which is much more of a shed than barn. I used to call my barn the horse garage, my horsey friends called it a stable there was a attached 'shed' which here means at least one side open with a simple slant roof, the shed purpose is to shed rain and to fly away in wind storms!