Worm Beds

Mattemma

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I am going to try the tote on top of the ready to harvest tote. I have 2 very heavy bins,and I want to use that soil for my new plantings.

I feed the red wigglers to my hens too.

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
mlynd said:
I want them for both bait and the garden so will night crawlers work or can I mix them??
I'd be curious to find out also. I've never tried it, but having both might be interesting. I've always heard that the red wigglers were better breeder/multipliers and better at composting, but I've never tried the night crawlers for composting.

I love throwing a large worm to the chooks and watching the game of keep away. :D

mlynd

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well we are going to try it and I 'll let every one know how it goes we got some last night and I'm going to get some more today

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
mlynd, please keep us posted. I need to create the right place and worm bin. I've seen a couple styles and ideas and nothing is quite right for us.

We need to keep it indoors. We have so much rain and it is too hot in summer, freezes in winter. But I don't have a garage. I have a couple sheds, just trying to figure where I'd have room and where to put it where i would not just forget about them!

I have a utility room that would be good, but I don't want anything to leak on the floor and I certainly don't want escaping worms! ewwww! It is my milking room so they would have to be escape proof!

mlynd

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Ok this is what I got so far, 1 styro foam cooler given to us free , 1 bag Worm bedding mix, 20 night crawlers, 1 canister of worm food we punched holes in the top of the cooler and followed the directions on the bedding bag ,put in or worms and so far so good it is in my kitchen as of right now and no escapees as of yet :fl

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
You can use those styrofoam coolers?......ooooo I have one of those, too.

kimlove2

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Ah-ha! I have a freebee styrofoam cooler that I got form work! I'm going to get my worms today!:celebrate I'm so excited! Will keep you all posted as to my progress! :whee

HEChicken

Power Conserver
Reaction score
mlynd said:
1 canister of worm food.....
Eh - you bought food for them? I thought the point was so they could recycle kitchen scraps for you....

mlynd

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well I didn't have any at the time, I gave them to the chickens :lol: