Worm composting

MoonShadows

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Actually pretty well. The first level is beginning to fill with worm castings. I haven't harvested any as of yet, nor the "tea" from the spigot at the bottom. I'm waiting for it to build up some more. I bought a little meter to measure the moisture content and pH levels which are important to keeping worms. They say the worms can double in population every 90 days under good conditions. The only downside is fruit flies...almost impossible to keep them out. When I lift the cover, the worms scatter (they don't like light) and the fruit flies fly up and out, but they must find their way back in because I don't see them after a minute or two. Absolutely no odor whatsoever in the kitchen and just a slight earthy smell when I open the cover to feed them.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I remember hearing about earthworms farmed for composting some years ago and people were raving about the castings. We have so many of the things here, I have considered getting a bin going and seeing how it goes. My mealworm messes I scatter over the lawn now. I put some on the plants I had and damn near killed them, but I think I may have overdone it a little…

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Worm castings are awesome, better than rabbit poo lol

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I wonder if you could just dump them in the compost pile.

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
@ Moonshadows
How are your worms doing? I started a worm bed about a month ago. Nothing as fancy as yours, but they seem to be doing fine so far. I was afraid mine would get too hot, but so far they seem to be doing all right.