Would a pair of geese protect my free range flock from eagles?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Hmmmm...... maybe. I don't get eagle attacks when the goats are out with the hens. However, the eagles wait for the right moment and strike fast. If they get chased off afterwards, there is still a dead chicken in the field. But it would certainly be worth a try....at worst, you'll have a couple of geese for the freezer if it doesn't work out.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Good point free. I have a "national symbol" problem, :rolleyes: actually lots of national symbol problems and my LGD is no mas. (She took her job too seriously, got out and attacked our neighbor's dog pretty baldy~our dog had to be put down...it was not her first offense. :( ) I can't shoot bald eagles or any eagles for that matter...heck I don't even have a gun. I've been throwing rocks at them. :p

We are in the process of adopting a 7 mo old bearded collie to take over her job, and to do some sheep herding etc. Our other St. Bernard is a cupcake and prefers to be in our laps rather out with the flock. Until then, I got the geese! A mated pair of "American Blue Geese", they are hanging with the ducks as we speak. ("Harold and Emma", Sam named them.)

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
African Geese are huge. Not sure how effective they would be.... but they scare me! :gig

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
So far (4 days into having these geese) they have settled in nicely, they are mostly quiet until something they don't like flies over. Then they honk loudly, alerting me and ol' Cupcake. We run outside and check on things...so far so good, no casualties. I've seen them stand their ground with my ram and sheep and with my new dog (& future LGD) "May" who isn't trusted loose around the flock just yet.

The ducks are so afraid of these gentle giants though, it is crazy! :p

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I don't think geese will protect the flock, but the birds of prey won't attack such a huge animal. I think there will be some separation between the species. I think guineas would sound the alarm better than geese, but geese will also sound a good alarm.
Do you have enough cover in the run? They are small animals and will feel safest under weeds and bushes, as they would in their natural environment. If you don't have a few big bushes, maybe you can create some cover with a few old saw horses, covered with wire and shade it a bit.....or maybe an A frame no one is using can be wired and you can put a grape vine growing on it with a little chicken wire for protection from the chickens....and the birds get protected under the frame kinda thing.
I don't exactly do free range, but I have a generous run and just bring the grass clippings and such to them to make up for not free ranging. Free ranging is healthy and cheap, but the question is can you find the eggs and are the birds safe? I mean a pasture wouldn't be good for a chicken because they would be looking for something to hide under.
In theory, you are onto something though. If you have cover spread about and have a good 'watch dog' that will sound the alarm, you might have better luck keeping your flock safe.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
rhoda_bruce said:
I don't think geese will protect the flock, but the birds of prey won't attack such a huge animal. I think there will be some separation between the species. I think guineas would sound the alarm better than geese, but geese will also sound a good alarm.
Do you have enough cover in the run? They are small animals and will feel safest under weeds and bushes, as they would in their natural environment. If you don't have a few big bushes, maybe you can create some cover with a few old saw horses, covered with wire and shade it a bit.....or maybe an A frame no one is using can be wired and you can put a grape vine growing on it with a little chicken wire for protection from the chickens....and the birds get protected under the frame kinda thing.
I don't exactly do free range, but I have a generous run and just bring the grass clippings and such to them to make up for not free ranging. Free ranging is healthy and cheap, but the question is can you find the eggs and are the birds safe? I mean a pasture wouldn't be good for a chicken because they would be looking for something to hide under.
In theory, you are onto something though. If you have cover spread about and have a good 'watch dog' that will sound the alarm, you might have better luck keeping your flock safe.
The yard is a fenced acre, 1/3 forest and dense bushes, the rest is grass and sun. The chickens/ducks also like to go under the back deck and under the 40 x 15 open shed. We just suddenly lost our LGD and we are trying to adjust to the changes. My run in the coop is too small for everyone to live all day long IMO, I'm going to probably have to extend it soon if the new LGD-in-training isn't very good at LGD-ing. :p

I do like having the geese around though! So it was worth getting them. :)

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have a big white goose in with my ducks. She is fierce when it comes to anything getting near "her ducks" even me!! She does a great job protecting them, so far. Even the cats give a wide berth to her. We don't have Eagles...or at least a "problem" with them...but the hawks are everywhere. So far, so good, and they free range all day. When I go out in the evening to lock them up, I tell Goose....time for bed, and she honks LOUDLY and herds them to the pen. Sometimes .... I love that goose.