Would ya look at that? Just look at it! :)

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
@Chic Rustler , You still seeing noticeable difference with coffee grounds? When I dump a soapy container full of potato bugs, I dump it right into a potato hill. I figure that the bug protein, and the P + insect repellent properties of Dawn will help. I continue to bring about 2# coffee grounds home from church every Sunday. It's not a lot, but over time, it adds up.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
@Chic Rustler , You still seeing noticeable difference with coffee grounds? When I dump a soapy container full of potato bugs, I dump it right into a potato hill. I figure that the bug protein, and the P + insect repellent properties of Dawn will help. I continue to bring about 2# coffee grounds home from church every Sunday. It's not a lot, but over time, it adds up.

It does add up. It all adds to fertility. Coffee grounds arent like manure. Everything isnt greener the next day but i think it helps.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Don't forget the whiz factor. Urine. Pee in a coffee canister and add at least 10 parts of water, then use that to "water (fertilize?)" the soil at the base of the plants. Seriously. The gardeners that do that call it 'liquid gold'. I did it on the sly one year after someone on this forum did an experiment with it. I had the same glorious results on a couple tomato plants. Couple years later I 'fessed up and you should have seen the look on my husband's face!

The last time I planted corn, I watched a bird walk down the row and pick out some seeds. It was like he had radar or something. Ha! I read that it helps to use gloves. :idunno Your pics remind me of a friend's garden some years back. They had beautiful tomato plants that got smaller and smaller as the rows went on. They said it was because of the potatoes that they had planted there the year before.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
In the name of efficiency... as well as improving my garden... I've ordered a handy dandy little tool. I hate taking the time to run in and out every time nature calls. Not to mention... I live in a raised ranch, so that entails lots of stair climbing in a day's work. It's a female urinal. Allows discreet collection of yellow gold. Don't open the jpg if you don't want to see it being discretely used.

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/rY0AAOSwAPVZD9tL/s-l1600.jpg

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
The last time I planted corn, I watched a bird walk down the row and pick out some seeds. It was like he had radar or something. Ha! I read that it helps to use gloves.

When I plant corn, I put a very fine layer of hay over it. The hay covers the emerging shoots so the crows can't zero in on them. Since doing that, I've never had issues with crows plucking the seed.

Latest posts