Would you go back to this vet?

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
Turns out the original vet had said what he said because he didn't agree with their relationship! How insane is that?
WOW!! Lupin that is amazing...

i guess the moral of that story is that even professionals are real people too... with faults and weaknesses just like the rest of us. i think we are raised to believe the doctor, dentist, vet etc.... so just like you have to be your own advocate with your health - you have to do it with your animals also. it also goes to show that just because you have knowledge doesnt mean you know anything!

i took one of my old lady cats to the vet (the good one) and the only symptom she had was that she wouldnt sit with me at nite. that was it. thankfully the vet knew me (altho his office hated me but i didnt like them either). he trusted me enough to do extra tests and we found out that she had advanced kidney disease. we worked together to come up an alternative treatment and she lived another 10 years.

and yes - whoever (sorry i cant recall) its sometimes good to have diff vets for different pets. we drive over an hr to the cat vet and we pass probably a dozen or more practices. the dogs can go to the guy down the street....and we have the # for a big animal vet for the goaties.

did everyone see over on BYC the family who had to have their dog put down and the vet office refused to help them? there was some big story about it. that poor family!

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We had an excellent mobile vet when we lived in the GTA for the horses (Pat probably knows of him, Andre Macko) and he'd do our dogs when he as out as well but no other large animal vet I've met since will do them. The cat goes to the horse vets office, the goats have a vet in that office too, the dogs go there for wormers and the like only because we can't buy really anything in stores here, and then for shots to the other vet.

Lots of vet stuff. I hate my mobile/emerge vet, hate hate hate but he was so patient with Mylie, she didn't even flinch when he gave her the sedative!

ducks4you

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'll TRY to make this 1988 story short.
"Clark", our Basset x Golden Retriever/Irish Setter mix, runs out in front of a car at dusk. The driver ISN'T going fast, he stops to see what happened, we don't blame him, we call over to our Vet. She says to bring the dog in. We leave Clark at the Vet. She calls the next day to say that Clark has broken her pelvis in 4 places, but will live. (No prognosis beyond this.) The Vet calls the Next day to say that Clark won't eat anything, and I better come get her.
?????????????????????
No, "She'll be okay with rest."
No, "We better put a sling on it."
No, "Boy, this dog was lucky it wasn't her head."
No sympathy, either.

So...I bring my damaged dog home..WITH THE VET BILL. :rant I nurse her on an oversized pillow. I feed her steak, then hamburger, then hot dogs...finally she's recovering and even eating dry dog food again.

I call ANOTHER Vet, demand my x-rays from this....BXXXXY woman Vet, and take Clark in for a real exam. My new Vet takes Clark for a walk and examines the gait. I ask, "Is she ever going to be able to recover from this?" He tells me, "OF COURSE! I've had LOTS of dogs with injuries like losing a limb and such, go on and live a good, long life." In fact, this Vet euthanized Clark when she was very old and her health was failing, some 10 years after her accident.

(BTW, it's NOT a gender issue with me--my current Vet is female, and she's marvelous.)

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
Holy Cow! Some of these stories are so disturbing that it makes mine seem like needless whining.
:hide

I sent my letter of complaint earlier today. She's due for Heartgard next week so I assume that I will know where I stand after that call.
I am definitely getting a new vet. I don't want a story to tell like those that I've read here because I gave them a second chance.

Latest posts