Would you go back to this vet?

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I bet that "special plan" involved a food where they make a 40-60% profit off of each bag sold and the main ingredient of the food was corn.
:somad

The Vail Benton's

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
What a horrible experience. Unfortunately, it seems that stories like this are becoming more & more the norm these days, as more and more veterinary practices are putting volume medicine before quality medicine. The bottom line has become more important than customer service. I have an AKC registered English Bulldog INTACT male that my FORMER Veterinary staff persisted in trying to councel me to neuter - they also persisted in trying to councel me to purchase the diet they were peddling. On both counts, I asked them to make a note in my chart where it could be plainly seen everytime my chart was pulled that I request no counceling unless I specifically ask for it. That didn't work. Expounding their opinion on me was more valuable to them than my business, so I have taken it elsewhere.

bibliophile birds

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
i don't think it was out of line for a vet tech who doesn't know you or your dog to suggest spaying her. suggest being the operative word. i think it's their responsibility to assume that people need more information about a lot of things. but it is also their responsibility to respect an owner's position and once you said it was a conscious decision not to, then it should not have been brought up again.

unfortunately, there are lots of worthless vets out there. your average small animal vet has almost no technical knowledge of nutrition. i wouldn't trust their diet suggestions for a second. that's not to say you should ignore them, but always do the research for yourself. vet schools are partnered with pet food companies and drug companies and students are often only taught what they need to know to push those products. my advice after YEARS of pet problems that came down to nutrition: don't feed grains to cats and dogs and NEVER BUY SCIENCE DIET.

as for the blood draw, i would definitely send a letter of complaint. sure, every vet has to get experience somehow, but not at the expense of our pets.

i would see if there is a large animal vet in your area and then ask them who they would recommend. large animal vets are usually much much better educated and experienced and they always know the other good vets.

good luck. it's especially hard when they are supposed to be the people we can turn to and they aren't.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
my advice after YEARS of pet problems that came down to nutrition: don't feed grains to cats and dogs and NEVER BUY SCIENCE DIET.
:thumbsup

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
There is a lot of emotion contained in these posts!

Vail Bentons- it sounds like you had the exact discussions as I did. Your term "counseling" pretty much translates into badgering from my perception, lol.

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
Yeah, WZ & BB, the "special" high corn diet but in smaller portions, no doubt. Pure profit AND guaranteed repeat trips to the vet. :rolleyes:
What a deal.

ksalvagno

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Unfortunately, I think we have all run into those types of vets. I'm very careful now. My vet is expensive but they take very good care of my animals and they don't question what your choice is. They are also a large/small animal vet out in the country.

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
bibliophile birds said:
as for the blood draw, i would definitely send a letter of complaint. sure, every vet has to get experience somehow, but not at the expense of our pets.

i would see if there is a large animal vet in your area and then ask them who they would recommend. large animal vets are usually much much better educated and experienced and they always know the other good vets.
Letter of Complaint is drawn and printed. Thanks for the suggestion.

Also, all who suggest the large animal vet (Lupin & BB) for referrals- that is a great idea. They would be the very last to recommend "spaying that milk cow", lol. They get it, don't they?

buckeye lady

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Find another Vet. I changed vets about 12 years ago because I was not happy with the services.
Where in Ohio are you? I am in the Northeast and I highly recommend my Vet. They have 2 offices and around 8 Vets and the techs are all great and mind there business.

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
ksalvagno said:
Unfortunately, I think we have all run into those types of vets. I'm very careful now. My vet is expensive but they take very good care of my animals and they don't question what your choice is. They are also a large/small animal vet out in the country.
The thing is that this was my second vet group. I left the first clinic because that vet got to the point where he wouldn't say hi to my other dog or hardly touch her. His practice exploded in size and he moved to a giant building without taking on another vet to pick up the slack. The creepy Rimadyl vet. That felt wrong on too many levels.

This place was good until our original vet separated from the facility and went out of town/state.
You were lucky to have found a good vet. I suppose I had to experience the rotten ones before I could recognize a good one.