Would you have done it?

Iceblink

Maa Maa Mama
Reaction score
So last week I saw on Craigslist (gotta love it) that someone was clearing out their whole house, everything in it was free. So of course I raced down there, and I did get a couple boards, and things, it was mostly junk, (there is 'junk' that is someone else's treasure, and then there is 'junk' that is just trash) but I saw a whole case of quart canning jars. They still had the stuff in them , and it was so old I couldn't tell what it was. I didn't take the jars. I was afraid when I opened them to clean them out there might be gas or something in it. Would you have taken them?

I know glass isn't porus, but still, I was grossed out. Besides, I don't really can in quarts, but now I'm feeling a little guilty.

redhen

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I would of done it... :hide and then sterilized the heck outta them.

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
I'd have taken them!!! Just open them up outside and dump the contents on your compost pile. Easy-Peasy-Extra-Cheesy!!

Free is free I don't care where you are!!

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I picked up some free jars on craigslist. The man e mailed me back and said he had found some more, with stuff in them. I brought them home. The fruits and tom sauce I dumped and tried to clean. They are still in a box in the garage. There were several with some type of chicken soup in them. After a closer look there seemed to be some other UNIDENTIFIABLE things in the jars. Those went in the trash without opening.

I guess it just depend on how badly you need the jars and how willing you are to clean them.

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
I would pass.
I am suspicious of used jars, anyways. You never know what someone has stored in them, even briefly. I've seen people put solvents and pesticides in them. Then what, clean them up a bit and put in a yard sale? Glass is somewhat porous and I envision stuff lurking in there.
I do know that you aren't supposed to use a jar for fermenting wine that had pickles in it, so stuff does remain.
If I saw a jar of moldy contents, there may be a structural reason the contents went bad. Nope, I'm with you.

redhen

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
sylvie said:
I would pass.
I am suspicious of used jars, anyways. You never know what someone has stored in them, even briefly. I've seen people put solvents and pesticides in them. Then what, clean them up a bit and put in a yard sale? Glass is somewhat porous and I envision stuff lurking in there.
I do know that you aren't supposed to use a jar for fermenting wine that had pickles in it, so stuff does remain.
If I saw a jar of moldy contents, there may be a structural reason the contents went bad. Nope, I'm with you.
Hmmm, Good points! :sick Maybe i would pass also... :lol:

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
sylvie said:
I would pass.
In it's NORMAL state, glass is NOT porous!!
http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview/id/333966.html

I have cleaned up old jars that had kerosene in them, and then canned in them later on. I ain't dead yet!

If those jars had mold or anything else growing in them it was from a failed seal, allowing oxygen into the contents. I'd have taken them home, cleaned them and not thought another thing about it.
The ONLY reason I would toss a jar is if the sealing area had a nick or chip, or the jar had a crack in it.

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
SKR8PN said:
sylvie said:
I would pass.

I have cleaned up old jars that had kerosene in them, and then canned in them later on. I ain't dead yet!

If those jars had mold or anything else growing in them it was from a failed seal, allowing oxygen into the contents. I'd have taken them home, cleaned them and not thought another thing about it.
The ONLY reason I would toss a jar is if the sealing area had a nick or
chip, or the jar had a crack in it.
Db is the head of a lab and expresses the same concerns as I have regarding glass in old canning jars.

I am referring to the unknown chemicals that do not respond to dishsoap, chlorine and water, which most people believe is all that is required to clean a used jar.

I pretty much was saying the same thing about cracks and chips as a structural reason for eliminating a particular jar.

With all the time and effort that goes into growing and canning my food and that I care very much what my family consumes, there's no way I would then take a chance on a questionable used jar. I stand by my post.

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
sylvie said:
SKR8PN said:
sylvie said:
I would pass.

The ONLY reason I would toss a jar is if the sealing area had a nick or
chip, or the jar had a crack in it.
Db is the head of a lab and expresses the same concerns as I have regarding glass in old canning jars.

I am referring to the unknown chemicals that do not respond to dishsoap, chlorine and water, which most people believe is all that is required to clean a used jar.

I pretty much was saying the same thing about cracks and chips as a structural reason for eliminating a particular jar.

With all the time and effort that goes into growing and canning my food and that I care very much what my family consumes, there's no way I would then take a chance on a questionable used jar. I stand by my post.
With the "unknown chemicals" thing you got me to thinking about used jars........
Thinking back....I have only ever had old used canning jars offered to me twice. Both times they were friends, or friends of friends that were either very old or just didn't want to work at canning any longer. In both of those circumstances I never had a problem with taking and using those jars because I KNEW where they had been and what they had been used for and who they had been used by. I guess a little common sense is called for when it comes to garage sale jars and such. If the seller is clearing out their grand parents home, and the jars were still full, or I could be assured of the history, then I'd take the chance. But if the seller looked like a crack ho looking for a quick fix, then I'd maybe take a pass on those jars. :gig
But you DID make me stop and think about it, and for that I thank you. :bow

Reaction score
You have to give yourself some value. My time can be much better spent than trying to remove some bizarre thing from a jar. What if it really stinks? Yuk! Kind of like finding a half empty baby bottle under the couch after 2 months.