Wound ointments

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Story of me being stupid. I was wearing flip flops out in the chicken pen while rat hunting. Stomped one and it bit me good. Broke off it's bottom teeth in me. ER visit and they had to cut one out. Now need to heal up.

I know honey helps. I'm thinking an ointment with comfrey for the healing and sage for antiseptic. I can add a bit of honey into that as well.

Need more ideas if anyone has some

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Sorry you got bit by a dirty rat...
This is my favorite. Being diabetic, I have to be careful about slow healing, but this seems to really do it.
Homemade “Neosporin”

1/2 cup coconut oil
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup dried comfrey leaf
1/4 cup dried calendula
2oz beeswax
2 tablespoons of honey ( Malaleuca or Manuka if possible although any honey has good healing properties)
10 drops lavender essential oil (optional)

In a medium saucepan – combine the coconut oil, olive oil, comfrey, & calendula. Cook on low to medium heat for about 20-30 minutes, stirring often. You can also get more ‘healing zip’ from the herbs by soaking the herbs in the olive oil for 2 to 6 weeks instead of cooking (longer you soak, more healing properties get infused). Then you would follow the rest of the recipe accordingly, with the exception of adding the coconut oil to the mixture before adding in the beeswax.

Strain the mixture using a cheesecloth or coffee filter.

Toss the herbs & wipe out any remaining herbs from your saucepan. Add the strained oil back to your pot, turn the heat to low. Stir in the honey at this point until mixed.

Add the beeswax and stir until completely melted.

Stir in the essential oil, if using, at this point. Once combined, remove from the heat.

You’ll want to work quickly now as the salve starts to set up rather fast. Pour into the glass or tin container(s) of your choice. I used wide mouth 8 oz jars.

Stir or shake occasionally while it cools to ensure that everything settles properly, especially the honey.

Once it sets up, you’re all done. Each batch makes a little over a cup.

Seal it up & keep it on hand for your boo-boos, diaper rash, & dry skin. It keeps for a year

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Ri don't have any recommendations- just wanted to say geeze Louise! You da woman for stomping on a rat! Sorry he got his little bit of revenge...

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I was stupid. Had grabbed his buddy when he jumped and didn't want him getting away.

Usually I grab them and bash them to death against the nearest solid object. Usually the fence pole. This is my first bite since I know how to grab them

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It looks pretty good today. Now that the anesthetic has worn off, it even feels 100% better. Just a little pain of a normal wound.

I joked with hubby that the bacteria that causes Rat Bite Fever should be afraid of entering my body because Ive had Cat Scratch Fever and we all know how cats and rats get along.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score

Latest posts