WOW!! Summer camp and food allergies

hennypenny9

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
That's great! Although at this point with so many people having allergies, it should be standard. I know so many people who can't have gluten, or dairy. I was once in a lecture when a kid jumped up and ran out... Turns out he was extremely allergic to peanuts, and someone near him opened a peanut granola bar. He started having a reaction from the small particles.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
hennypenny9 said:
That's great! Although at this point with so many people having allergies, it should be standard. I know so many people who can't have gluten, or dairy. I was once in a lecture when a kid jumped up and ran out... Turns out he was extremely allergic to peanuts, and someone near him opened a peanut granola bar. He started having a reaction from the small particles.
Luckily DS's peanut allergy isn't that bad. We didn't know about it for 7 years and he's eaten a lot of peanut butter.
The camp was peanut free last year. They had this fake peanut butter but it's soy based I think. So he can't eat it anyway.

Kim_NC

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Henrietta23 said:
Woodland Woman said:
What diet is your son on? We are on special diets also and have to take almost all our food wherever we go.
We recently found out he is allergic to wheat, barley, rye, corn, rice, soy, peanuts, pecans, walnuts, sesame seeds and milk. Since almost every packaged food out there contains wheat, soy or corn syrup these days chances are he won't be able to eat their food. Even if something is made without corn syrup, rice syrup is likely to be used instead.
I will be off work by then and will have time to cook things ahead for him. We'll just bring a big cooler full of individual vacuum sealed meals and load them into the camp refrigerator. All should be good.
Oh wow, that's a big allery list. So sorry, but glad the camp food services director is being so helpful.

edit: typo

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Kim_NC said:
Henrietta23 said:
Woodland Woman said:
What diet is your son on? We are on special diets also and have to take almost all our food wherever we go.
We recently found out he is allergic to wheat, barley, rye, corn, rice, soy, peanuts, pecans, walnuts, sesame seeds and milk. Since almost every packaged food out there contains wheat, soy or corn syrup these days chances are he won't be able to eat their food. Even if something is made without corn syrup, rice syrup is likely to be used instead.
I will be off work by then and will have time to cook things ahead for him. We'll just bring a big cooler full of individual vacuum sealed meals and load them into the camp refrigerator. All should be good.
Oh wow, that's a big allery list. So sorry, but glad the camp food services director is being so helpful.

edit: typo
: )
If nothing else it means he can't have packaged and processed foods. More work for me? Yes, but it forces an issue I feel strongly about anyway. We're making it work for us.
And yes, I'm really happy that the camp is so willing to work with us. I can imagine some place may have just refused to take him. He had a great time there last year. We went together for a parent and child session, two nights and three days. I got sick the last night and ended up spending most of the last day in bed with a high fever. He hung out with the counselors and couple of other moms kept an eye on him. He did great. I was going to send him for a shorter independent session but our priest pushed for him to go for the week. He said he wanted to, church offered a scholarship and then the brochure came out and they used a picture of him from last year. How could I say no? I'll miss him like crazy but he'll probably be just fine.

Not sure if this link will work. He on page 2 wearing sun glasses.
http://www.campwashington.org/assets/files/2010 Brochure.pdf