Wrapping a five gallon bucket in leather

firstdon1001

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I am trying to wrap a five gallon bucket in leather to make a back rest for my motorcycle. It will also serve a extra storage space for trips. I want to make a top for it as well. Also wrapped in leather. I can attach it with elastic straps, etc. I need some help if anyone has any diagrams to cut the material or any info on this project.
Thanks

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
:welcome Good luck with your project! I have no clue how to do it and wouldn't know where to start, but we have some great folks on here who sew that may be able to help. I did have one thought...wouldn't a rectangular trash can be more comfortable as a back rest? I'd think a round 5 gallon can would be uncomfortable and awkward on the back of a bike :hu Just a thought :)

JRmom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My husband is an upholsterer. I can tell you what he'd say... you need a pattern first. Use some heavy paper to cut your pattern from and get it right - I'm sure you don't want to waste an expensive piece of leather. Then use that to cut your leather. Are you planning on glueing the leather to the bucket? You'll also need some upholstery glue - anything else probably wouldn't last.