Wrinkled potatoes? Or leftover mashed potatoes? Make Lefse

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Lefse is a Scandanavian flatbread that I grew up with. I was surprised that there were so many variations when I did a search for a recipe (instead of searching for mine). Here's the link to a page that has different recipes of the 'real' stuff and pics:
http://www.lefsetime.com/all_about_lefse/lefse_recipes.php

I always used rather 'past their prime', wrinkled spuds or the leftover mashed potatoes when there wasn't enough for another meal. Since I'll have a potato overload soon, I'll be making some lefse again.

I never measured anything, just added butter and salt to the mashed potatoes, then enough flour to be able to roll out some tortilla looking rounds. I like mine a little thicker so there's more potato flavor and it stays pliable. Toss each one on a hot dry griddle, flip over when there are brown spots on it. Stack on a towel and keep them covered until it's time to eat.
You can use it as a wrap (slice up those fresh tomatoes and cucumbers!), in place of bread at dinner or just slather on some butter, cinnamon/sugar or jam or preserves for a sweet snack.

My mother's family immigrated to the US in 1872, bringing their essentials in three large trunks. One of the things they brought was the lefse rolling pin. I never knew what that weird looking rolling pin of my mom's was until I saw a picture of 'real' lefse on that site.

And since I'm Scandanavian, I can post the cute poem from that site:

An Ole Scandinavian Lefse Recipe (a little lefse humor)

Yew tak yust ten big potatoes
Den yew boil dem til dar don,
Yew add to dis some sveet cream
And by cups it measures vun.

Den yew steal 'tree ounces of butter
And vit two fingers pench some salt,
Yew beat dis wery lightly
If it ain't gude it is your fault.

Den yew roll dis tin vit flour
An' light brown on stove yew bake,
Now call in all Scandihuvians
Tew try da fine lefse yew make!

Sounds just like my great aunts, Gusta and Gena and uncle Ole! :lol:

JRmom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Ah, a variation of potato pancakes! Yum :drool

When I was a kid, my mom sometimes made these, but instead of of cooking them on a griddle she would fry them. Same thing, but different. I like the idea of rolling them out really thin and using as a wrap. Thanks for posting!

animalfarm

Power Conserver
Reaction score
No. not really a potato pancake although it would look more like a cross between a tortilla and a crepe and a whole lot mo betta.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
After I posted that, I talked to my mom. She's 87 now, but still remembers her aunts rolling the lefse out about the size of a dishpan and just plopping them on the top of the wood cookstove and flipping them with a lefse turner that was about 3" wide. She said they were much too large to fit into any skillet they had. She also remembers them being rolled a little thicker than what the site indicated. The standard way the aunts served them was with butter and chokecherry 'jelly', but the jelly was more like syrup as they didn't use pectin in it.

JRmom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
animalfarm said:
No. not really a potato pancake although it would look more like a cross between a tortilla and a crepe and a whole lot mo betta.
The ingredients are the same as a potato pancake... just a different application... rolled out thin and cooked on a griddle.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
JRmom said:
animalfarm said:
The ingredients are the same as a potato pancake... just a different application... rolled out thin and cooked on a griddle.
Rather more flour than a potato pancake, I think. Isn't it interesting the various ways that different peoples have utilized the potato?

They sound lovely. I especially like the wrap idea, as I am not over fond of flour tortillas.

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My mom used to make potato pancakes with leftover mashed potatoes, an egg, flour, finely chopped onion, and salt and pepper. I think she would fry them in a little lard or bacon grease. OK, now I'm hungry.

Latest posts