WW2 Rationing Recipes - American

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
@Marianne - you've created a monster lol. I made some more of the extended butter - with a twist. Since I only basically use it as a spread - as opposed to cooking with it - I decided to jazz it up a bit. This time I added some stevia, cinnamon and a little pumpkin spice seasoning. Oh my goodness! I don't eat a lot of carbs, but I generally grab a piece of toast before work because it's quick and easy. Some of this spread on that piece of toast is a little sweet treat!
Now THAT is just awesome!!

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Here's what the Canadians used for a butter extender:

Extending-butter-e1415493634797.png

Like I have any cream hanging around. That would have been in my coffee in a New York minute.
Others just whipped equal amounts of softened butter and lukewarm water. You wouldn't be able to cook with that, but it helped them at the dinner table.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
So, I finally got around to making the Knox butter extender. I used a pint mason jar and a stick blender which made it a lot easier. Looked like butter, pretty much tasted like butter...and I had soggy toast. But I just had some on a baked sweet potato and it was good! My husband just gave me the raised eyebrow look. hahaha

Latest posts