WWYD canning Q?

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
They'll be fine, unless you left air pockets with a volume of 1/4 cup or something :) Even still, I think canning is a pretty forgiving art/science, as long as everything is clean and processing times and recipes are followed. An air bubble here and there will just boil up to the top during processing. Ahhhh, back to my own canning :)

Panther Creek Homestead

Power Conserver
Reaction score
"Pathogen causing air space" has me really concerned. I canned alot of peaches and got ALOT of float. Will these still be good or should I open the jars and try again. First time with peaches and I was winging it. I would apprecite your help an opinions on it!

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Seroiusly, I have been canning for 15 years and have not (knowingly) killed anyone yet. My tomatoes this week must have had too much pressure, as I lost quite a bit of volume and now have about 1.5" air space. My peaches ALWAYS float above the syrup. I think that's just the floaty nature of peaches, no matter what your syrup volume is. I think proper pH and excellent seal are the most important, but that is just my opinion.

As for "pathogen-causing airspace," not to nitpick, but air space does not CAUSE pathogens, it just gives them a place to grow. If your product is a good pH and there is a great seal, any pathogens that (should have) survived canning won't have a way/place to live. At least that's the way I understand it.

When in doubt, use it up first. When seriously in doubt, store in the fridge and use it up.

ETA: I should add that a lot of airspace is not desirable, despite my tomato results as above. I will definitely use these tomatoes right away. I aim for perfection, but I have noticed that canning seems pretty forgiving, so far. Again, though, start with CLEAN food, SPOTLESS canning instruments and follow the directions, especially as related to acid (like adding vinegar/lemon juice if using low-acid tomatoes).