WWYD - Dog bite

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I got bit today at work. A small bite, but very painful place right next to my fingernail. The dog is current on vaccines.

I flushed it with water for a min. or 2. Then used chlorohexine wash - the same for prepping skin for surgery. Then wrapped in gauze and bandaged tight - the pressure relieved some of the pain so I could finish working.

After work, I opened it up. The cut was at an angle to the edge of my nail so there was a little wedge of skin. I cut it out. Flushed the whole thing with an antiseptic. Let air out and then put liquid skin on top.

OK -- so that's what I did. What would you do?

JRmom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Ouch! The only thing I would have done differently is left it open to drain in case of infection.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
yeah I'd have left it open too, and maybe put some honey on it to help it heal faster.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I got bit on the hand where my thumb joins my hand a number of years ago by my friend's large German Shepherd who got spooked as our kids collectively ran up in a rush as I was petting him. Freaked him out as much as it did me, especially when my friend yelled at him--he was very apologetic afterward and looked sheepish for the rest of the day, lying at my feet. He had never bitten before, never has since--lovely big shaggy thing called Summit who's just a mush-pot otherwise. He was still quite young at the time, maybe a year and a half.

Washed gently with soap and water then my friend covered the small wound with anti-bacterial cream (like polysporin) and put on a band-aid. Took the band-aid off at night as I recall. Healed up just fine, no infection or scar, but it wasn't a big wound. :)

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
I keep the bite hole open so I can soak it and let it drain if it is deep. Sounds like you might have cut off the extra flesh so you might not have a deep puncture left? It is a little hard to picture the wound. My husband always likes that liquid glue for his wounds and seals things up that I would not and does okay, but I'd keep an eye on it!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
depending on how small I probably wouldn't do much lol
I am the, 'dust it off' and forget it' type person
wash with soap, bandaid if truly needed
not a nurse type here :lol:
you did well!

Shiloh Acres

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Yah, you probably did more than I would do. I usually squeeze it out, wash with soap and water, apply antibiotic ointment if I think necessary, and bandage if necessary. Open it up to air later, if I do cover it.

I use arnica if I expect deep bruising.

You mentioned vaccines? Is there any reason to be concerned about the dog's health?
Edited: never mind, I misread the part about vaccines. Thought you said he was currently receiving vaccines for something. Duh.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I feel your pain. I did everything right, I thought, but still ended up with it abcessing. The punctures are the worst for that.

Doc had me soak it twice a day in antibacterial soapy water for 20 minutes, then neosporin, butterflies, gauze and wrap. I had a 10 day round of antibiotic and they said sometimes they have to do two rounds or combine two of them.

They don't stitch them as they almost always get infected if they're deep enough. Mine sure was, I have permanent nerve damage in my hand.

Mattemma

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I would do what you are and only do oral antibios if it looks like infection is occuring.I would up my vitC,garlic,echinacea,and golden seal for 5 days.

I had soaked an infected foot in water/grapeseed oil to kill off germsCut it open to be sure the GSE could get in there good.That worked well.