wyodreamer - we're not in Wyo any more

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I can throw a Mamma-heating -pad in there if it gets too cold. They were sleeping fine this morning when I went out - a couple stood up and peeped when I peaked in, but for the most part they were good.
DH is golfing tonight, that means I don't have to cook supper for him and I can get out in the garden right after work and try to find the tomato plants...

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Still haven't found those dang tomato plants - no excuse for the garden to get this bad. I've just been lazy and been preferring to spend time with DH. It seems every time I plan to go out there, something comes up.

I may check with my sister about how she has been feeling. She talked to me about a month ago about how I was feeling on the cancer drug that we are both taking, and we both had many of the same side effects. She was going to talk to her doctor about switching to a different medication. I got my cancer drug (estrogen suppressor) re-upped since the doctor forgot to renew the subscription. Looking through the side effects listing, it pretty much describes how I have been feeling - tired, achy joints, stiffness, slight depression. I just need to power through it and get moving again.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I went to feed the chicks, chickens and barn cats this morning before work and found one of the Easter Egger chicks huddled in the corner. She was on her feet last night, moving around with the rest of them, but she was the littlest one and always hidden in the pack. She was so dehydrated that I am not sure if she has been eating or drinking the entire time I had her. I washed the pasty butt and tried for almost an hour to get her to drink - but it was too little, too late and she passed away. :(

I will have to check all the butts tonight and make sure they are OK. I had noticed that a couple chicks in the Easter Egger bin at the store had poopy butts, but I checked them all when I put them in the brooder and they were OK then.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Chicks are doing well. No poop buts, very active. They are still pretty quick to run away, but I have a couple that are starting too stop being scared and coming out to get the fresh water and feed. I keep the side door open until they clam down, and start to leave the corner. Then I will close the door and leave them alone. Just trying to get them less scared of this face...

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Aw, so sorry to hear one passed away. Even when it is expected, it's always a sad moment, much more so when it is unexpected. I hope the others continue to do well for you.

I'm really glad you mentioned getting chicks. I had a hen sitting on a clutch of eggs for almost a month, without any eggs hatching. Your post came at just the right time. I ran up to TSC and picked up 8 CC Fryers, and exchanged those eggs for chicks and I now have a very happy momma hen. And I should have 8 more ready for the freezer right around the time I'd be culling anyway. Chicks have a natural source of heat, Momma has chicks, and I'll have a full freezer come winter. It's a good thing all the way around!

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
It would be nice to have a broody raise up some CC, lol. I need to work on the chicken tractor that DH has started. I am not sure what he has panned for finishing it, I wish he would explain his planed to do.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Still haven't found those dang tomato plants - no excuse for the garden to get this bad. I've just been lazy and been preferring to spend time with DH. It seems every time I plan to go out there, something comes up.

I may check with my sister about how she has been feeling. She talked to me about a month ago about how I was feeling on the cancer drug that we are both taking, and we both had many of the same side effects. She was going to talk to her doctor about switching to a different medication. I got my cancer drug (estrogen suppressor) re-upped since the doctor forgot to renew the subscription. Looking through the side effects listing, it pretty much describes how I have been feeling - tired, achy joints, stiffness, slight depression. I just need to power through it and get moving again.

So sorry you're having issues with even having to take chemo, let alone having the nasty side effects. Hugs to you.

As for loosing veggies in the garden, my easiest solution: stamp them down, and put down some layers of cardboard. Put the cardboard right up to the base of the plant, soak the plant well so any weedy roots adjacent to the veggie plants/row can be eased out of the soil without disturbing the roots of the veggie. The covered weeds will turn yellow and eventually die, thus nourishing the soil. I prefer to cover cardboard with mulch. But, if I don't have any mulch handy, bare cardboard is better than forests of weeds.

Apparently no chicks for me this season. 2 broodies last summer. No one in the mood this summer.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I waded through the weeds to see if it will be worth getting in there to weed. The pea plants have grown 4 feet tall, so they are using the weeds as supports, lol. But, they are producing so I will get them cleared out some. The rose bushes are still growing, but I can tell they are working more on roots than anything else so that is good. The tomato plants have lots of green tomatoes, so I need to get them cleared out.

Latest posts