wyodreamer - we're not in Wyo any more

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
. I will need to post pictures on BYC and see if anyone can tell me which one is the EE, they all look alike to me.
What do their combs look like? All of my Ameraucanas/Easter Eggers have rose combs. I don't have any, and have never seen any Sapphire Gems but a quick Google search shows me images of standard combs. Maybe that will help you tell the difference?

Also, a lot of Easter Eggers have a greenish tint to their legs and the Sapphire Gems are supposed to have a blue leg. But, there can sure be a lot of variation in greens and probably blues too.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure they don't ALL have green legs. Mine sometimes just barely have a greenish tint. But I don't have any that have pure slate legs...:idunno Just my experience with them and I've had EE's for probably 25 years.

LG is right that the will often times have beards and/or muffs.

Easter Eggers” have other common traits that go hand-in-hand with the green eggs. They usually have muffs (fuzzy feathers on either side of their beaks) and/or beards. They also usually have greenish gray feet and legs and pea-shaped combs.

Many Easter Eggers will have colored legs as well.
Some hens will have green legs. This can range from a pea green to a willow green color. It’s a different look from the traditional yellow or black legs seen in white or brown egg layers.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I want an olive egger! I like variety in my egg color....all I get now is brown, light brown, medium brown, beige, and green! I had Marans for awhile - but they weren't really great layers. Maybe I should try Welsummers.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I went out Sunday morning to tend chickens and found Ms. Sagitta Chicken dead on the floor right by the feeder. She died with a sunflower seed in her mouth, lol. I knew that she was fading and I am fairly sure it was old age related as she was the last of my first batch. But she was always right at the door and insisted on picking BOSS out of the bowl before I tossed the scratch out for the others to eat.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I canned Cranberry Juice before heading to work this morning, lol. I bought the cranberries about a month ago and just never made the time to get them canned up. 6 quarts are sitting in the steam canner still, burner is off and the canner is pushed to the back of the stove top. And I made it to work on time.
I will see in about 4 weeks how it turned out.