WZ and BubblingBrooks (and anyone else) - Books for Eating/Nutrition

booker81

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I really enjoy your posts, and was hoping you could point me in the direction of a few good books to read while I'm laid up regarding more natural eating (especially to help me get rid of a few pounds.)

I saw the Nourishing Traditions book on Amazon, seems pretty neat.

I've been pretty much unable to exercise for a while now, and we're hoping the surgery next week will get the pins back working right, but pretty much any hope of weight loss will have to come from a change in eating. I eat pretty well, but looking for some tweaking.

:)

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about exercise. Yeah, it can be helpful, but for weight loss, diet is way more important.

Some of my favorite books...

Natural Health & Weight Loss by Barry Groves
Good Calories Bad Calories by Gary Taubes (written for grad students so can make your brain hurt sometimes, but the best source for the actual science.)
Protein Power Life Plan by Mike & Mary Eades, MDs

booker81

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I pretty down with science based....gotta use that Molecular Biotechnology degree for something.

Do the books listed follow the same theme - would it be good to start with any one of them, and then get the others, or are there bits that would be good to go over and just get all three?

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
For you, I would just go with the Taubes book. It is not actually a diet book, but it traces the history of diet recommendations, the science (or lack thereof) behind it and the effect on different civilizations. You, being a sciencey type anyway, will love this book. I did too, but had to swallow it in small bits and digest them a bit. My background is graphic design, so it was like learning a whole new language! LOL

Once you have the info in GCBC in your belt, it makes understanding a healthy human diet in general so much easier.

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
Those are my same suggestions.

Taubes has a couple lectures on youtube. And Sugar: The Bitter Truth is on there too.

Definitely get Nourishing Traditions if you can!! It's great :)

booker81

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Thanks!!

Reading through the reviews (I like to read the top rated and then the 1 star rated), reminded me of a radio show where they have a "naturopath" on. I like science, and I like understanding. When I was listening, the proclaimed expert claimed that broccoli has more protein than beef, ounce for ounce. She's also claimed that potatoes aren't carbohydrates.

No wonder our country is screwed.

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
booker81 said:
Thanks!!

Reading through the reviews (I like to read the top rated and then the 1 star rated), reminded me of a radio show where they have a "naturopath" on. I like science, and I like understanding. When I was listening, the proclaimed expert claimed that broccoli has more protein than beef, ounce for ounce. She's also claimed that potatoes aren't carbohydrates.

No wonder our country is screwed.
Uhm. Wow. *laughing*

Claims aren't science?

So... I SHOULD get those vaccines? I'd hate to make my autism worse.

:gig

booker81

Power Conserver
Reaction score
It's a special show.... :) Some things are interesting, but then, well, yeah. Broccoli - the new protein!