Xmas bonus.... help me spend it wisely

rd200

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
so i unexpectedly got a christmas bonus this year. It was $500 CASH. I was really happy. Ive been putting off buying some equipment because i dont want to spend the money, but now that i have "free" money so to speak i was looking on Amazon and there are super great deals now that its xmas time. I am think about buying...

Cuisinart 9 cup Food processor- $130
Cuisinart 2 quart Ice cream maker- $80
Excaliber 9 tray 2900-jerky maker- $189

What do you think of this list??

I have a decent blender, a crappy food processor for my lotion, soap, chapstick, but need a good one for my actual food products. I have a canner and canning jars, not so fond of pressure canning, so thats out. Is there anything that you think i might be better off spending my money on rather than these items?? Any experience with these items?? Ive read the reviews and they all look good. Thoughts??? Thanks

CheerioLounge

Dessert Dreamer
Reaction score
If I had the extra money I would buy a Kitchenaid stand mixer. But your list sounds great, especially the food processor.

Duker17

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
CheerioLounge said:
If I had the extra money I would buy a Kitchenaid stand mixer. But your list sounds great, especially the food processor.
I just got one a few months ago and I LOVE IT! I waited until I had a 20% off coupon and they were offering free shipping so I got the heavy duty 425 (?) Watt 5 quart for about $250, PLUS a.free food chopper with a mail in rebate.

However, I think you should buy what will either be most useful to you, or what you've always wanted but never been able to justify spending money on.

cheepo

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
great list...
i got an excalabur...this year definately is wonderful...absolutely say good buy for that..
food processor..fantastic help but have to agree about the kitchen aid...
I had a perfectly good $12 mixer...thought good gosh...that much for a kitchen aid...
but thanks to my son jamming hooks...i needed a mixer...and ended up getting a great deal...was
cheaper getting a new one from the wholesaler than used.from craigslist.....and I have to say...it is in a whole other league
have a grinder pasta attachment which is very usefull...
the other thing i find indispensible is a meat slicer...again I got second hand cheap...
ice cream maker is very tasty treats

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
I agree with Duker17 - get what makes you happy. Because if you listened to me you would be buying a whole different list of things. :lol: I have a small food processor but don't use it much as I perfer to do my own chopping, diceing, etc. I don't eat ice cream and the few times I make jerky, I just improvise.
And for all you Kitchenaide Stand Mixer people. All I can say is OhhhhRaaaaaaaa, yippee :weee Back when I was doing major bread making - I bought the Professional 600. It came with a meat grinder. I don't make bread much right now due to time constraints but I love that meat grinder and use it all the time. My kitchenaide sits right by the kitchen door. There is a laminated note in big red letters addressed to emergency personel. It says - IN CASE OF FIRE PLEASE SAVE THE KITCHENAIDE - JUST INSIDE THIS DOOR TO YOUR RIGHT.

rd200

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
2dream said:
I agree with Duker17 - get what makes you happy. Because if you listened to me you would be buying a whole different list of things. :lol: I have a small food processor but don't use it much as I perfer to do my own chopping, diceing, etc. I don't eat ice cream and the few times I make jerky, I just improvise.
And for all you Kitchenaide Stand Mixer people. All I can say is OhhhhRaaaaaaaa, yippee :weee Back when I was doing major bread making - I bought the Professional 600. It came with a meat grinder. I don't make bread much right now due to time constraints but I love that meat grinder and use it all the time. My kitchenaide sits right by the kitchen door. There is a laminated note in big red letters addressed to emergency personel. It says - IN CASE OF FIRE PLEASE SAVE THE KITCHENAIDE - JUST INSIDE THIS DOOR TO YOUR RIGHT.
Now im curious, what would your list be???

And i DO have kitchenAid mixer. I dont use it all that often beause i hardly remember i have it. Its not in the kitchen because i have NO space in my tiny kitchen, so its hard to remember to use it. out of sight... out of mind. But when i DO use it, i love it. I was thinking of getting me meat grinder attachment, but we will see.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I just got a cheap food processor so I can continue to save for the KitchenAid :lol:

I love that list rd200!! I would have said get a KitchenAid too. I can not believe you have one that you hardly use :th Send it this way!!! :p

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I know you have prices quoted there, but if you shop around you could get ALL 3 probably for a low price.
unless you want a certain brand at X price

ice cream maker would be last on my list.

food processer can be used for alot of things plus it is a great tool
the dehydrator is a good tool also.

so I would go for processer first, dehydrator second, and ice cream last.

but shop around cause WITH sales this time of year you might get all 3 for the price of one, who knows lol

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
2dream said:
:yuckyuck

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Now me, I would be looking at non-electric stuff. I've got Lehman's hand powered blender on my wish list, and I used to have their eggbeater on my list till I found it for a lot less money on another site.

So yeah, buy what makes YOU happy.