Xmas bonus.... help me spend it wisely

rd200

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Well, for now i think i will just buy my food processor. That is a forsure. Then i think i might get some garden tools with the rest or save it until spring/summer and see what i need for the garden. I was thinking of making raised beds for my garden this year so taht will take some money for that too. I dont know yet, im really indecisive

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Excaliber 9 tray 2900-jerky maker- $189
Just wanted to let you know that last year, my nephew made some awesome venison jerky using my mom's cheap dehydrator that she got from WalMart (cost $40.00 if I recall)

Edited to add recipe/directions:

Venison Jerky

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
rd200 said:
2dream said:
I agree with Duker17 - get what makes you happy. Because if you listened to me you would be buying a whole different list of things. :lol: I have a small food processor but don't use it much as I perfer to do my own chopping, diceing, etc. I don't eat ice cream and the few times I make jerky, I just improvise.
And for all you Kitchenaide Stand Mixer people. All I can say is OhhhhRaaaaaaaa, yippee :weee Back when I was doing major bread making - I bought the Professional 600. It came with a meat grinder. I don't make bread much right now due to time constraints but I love that meat grinder and use it all the time. My kitchenaide sits right by the kitchen door. There is a laminated note in big red letters addressed to emergency personel. It says - IN CASE OF FIRE PLEASE SAVE THE KITCHENAIDE - JUST INSIDE THIS DOOR TO YOUR RIGHT.
Now im curious, what would your list be???

And i DO have kitchenAid mixer. I dont use it all that often beause i hardly remember i have it. Its not in the kitchen because i have NO space in my tiny kitchen, so its hard to remember to use it. out of sight... out of mind. But when i DO use it, i love it. I was thinking of getting me meat grinder attachment, but we will see.
My list contained a new cordless drill. So while at Lowes a few weeks ago they had a 18V Cordless Drill, Circular Saw combo thingy on sale. I snatced it up - hugged the box - paid for it with my one and only credit card and prayed I was going to get my Christmas Bonus. LOL - Christmas Bonus recieved and credit card paid off. The rest of the money is saved. I need a new garden rake and seed has to be purchased.

Now - make a place in that kitchen for that kitchenaide. Buy what you want with your money - and be HAPPY. Life is short.

rd200

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Update......

So i am reallly indecisive, but i finally made a decision on what to buy.

I ended up getting an awesome deal on my Cuisinart food processor, so i bought that.

Then i got a the Hurricane Wheatgrass Juicer. that originally wasnt on my list, but after researching wheatgrass, etc, I really wanted to try growing it and juicing it myself. Hey, ya never know, maybe ill get Pregnant after all this time....:D If not.... Its still really really good for you, so im excited to get it. Shipping is taking forever.

I bought my hubby a Brewers Jersey he's wanted FOREVER

And i am going to take whats left and put it towards Charity.... Im just so indecisive im having a hard time choosing where to put it. I think Heifer International. I like the idea of providing a family with an animal that they can take care of and use over just giving someone food. They can learn how to do it for themselves then. I like that way of "helping" better than a handout.

Thanks for all the replies on this matter.

ps- I think i might still do a food dehydrator, just a cheaper one. When i get some extra money.... whenever that will be!!

ETA: After i bought this stuff i realized that i could've saved the $$$ for buying seeds, plants, and making raised beds for my garden this year, but its about 9 degrees here right now, so i have some time to save for my garden stuff. Longs ways to go to spring!!!