Yahoo article - Family stops buying groceries for a year!

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
From what I read on the blog they just stopped going to the 'grocery store'. They just went to the Farmer's Market instead. On the side of their blog it says that has spent OVER $4,300 on food in the last year!! I did not see how big their family was though.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
PamsPride said:
From what I read on the blog they just stopped going to the 'grocery store'. They just went to the Farmer's Market instead. On the side of their blog it says that has spent OVER $4,300 on food in the last year!! I did not see how big their family was though.
They are buying farmers markets and direct from the farms, which costs more.
They state that all they did was shop local only, in an effort to stop funding the companies that ship foods long distances.
Now if only everyone would do that :cool:

Oh, I think BarredBuff posted that link this morning as well.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
I did but I didnt find the blog web adress, so thinks for sharing that!

Dreaming of Chickens

Power Conserver
Reaction score
PamsPride said:
On the side of their blog it says that has spent OVER $4,300 on food in the last year!! I did not see how big their family was though.
There are three of them, Mom, Dad, and Son. Like Bubblingbrooks said, if only more of us just bought locally it would make a big impact. With the money they saved growing more of their own and bartering, the usual grocery money can be spent on locally grown. I think that's great. So, the food bill doesn't change but the quality is better.

GaFarmGirl

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I wasn't really impressed. If you can still buy produce, meat and dairy from the farmer's market and rice, sugar and flour from a buying club then you are not really doing without groceries at all. The son was still eating junk food and soft drinks at friend's houses. I have three people in my family, husband, myself and a 17 year old son. I spend LESS than 4300 per year on groceries. While I think it is great to support local farmers markets I don't really see that this family did much more than anyone else living on a budget is doing already. The FIRST thing to go when you're on a budget is the processed junk foods.

Now, what I was impressed with were the last three months of the experiment where they only ate what was on hand.

But if you take out those three months out of the equation of 4300 for groceries then they spent 4300 in 9 months! That is 478.00 per month... we could eat really good on that much money!!

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
As a farmer's market grower and CSA farmer, I greatly appreciate people who buy local. Very, very much. Some things are more expensive (like potatoes) but other things are far cheaper at the farmer's market (like berries). And the quality is incredibly high. Most things are picked within 24 hours of market, most are organic, all are handpicked and not beat up by machines. And they come with a farmer who can teach you how to prepare them, provide recipes and tips of putting things up. I spend a LOT of time with my customers in these kinds of conversations :)

lee&lyric

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
me&thegals said:
As a farmer's market grower and CSA farmer, I greatly appreciate people who buy local.
Hello MeNG,

We'd like to learn more about becoming a FM grower and CSA organic farmers.