Yaklady - Please Tell Us About Yaks!

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Yakkie Sac! That is just too funny! :gig

They sound like such a great multi-purpose animal. Milk, fiber, meat, and heavy labor. AND THEY ARE CUTE???!!! I can't believe it, but I think I am yak obsessed. :lol:

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
It would be really cool if YL could write a short article comprised of the info she gave us here and submit to the blog site, hmmmmm?

That way the general public could interact with her about her black yaks and we would stop getting flack about not submitting a stack of yak about SS snacks, tasks, and acts! :D

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Oh my gosh, I just noticed there is a yak ad at the bottom of this page for Turkey Hill Yaks. Wow!

ETA: And they have a yak named Chewbacca :lol:

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
:barnie
Yaklady said:
In the Fall, their underlayer grows in. In the Spring it falls out, or moults. That stuff is worth $16/oz, so most yak owners brush it out and sell it to spinners.
OK I want a Yak now. :barnie

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
:lol: Wildsky.

Speaking of the fiber . . . my mom asked me if it is black on a black yak, or is that just the color of the outer layer? She wondered if you can dye the fiber (probably not if it is black).

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
It would be really cool if YL could write a short article comprised of the info she gave us here and submit to the blog site, hmmmmm?

That way the general public could interact with her about her black yaks and we would stop getting flack about not submitting a stack of yak about SS snacks, tasks, and acts! :D
:lol: :lol: I'm yak now from going out to eat...I came to see whats been going on here. :gig I bet a yak would be good at carrying a pack too. :p Talk about multi-purpose beast of burden!

I'm totally smitten with yaks now too!

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Yaklady, thank you for the through reply. I have just read it to my husband and we thought it sounded quite interesting. We have just moved onto 8 acres and are preparing for our first portion of pasture and have been thinking of cattle or goats but these sound so much more interesting. We do have quite a few spinners around here too who might go for the wool. How do you plan to sell your wool?

My husband asks what kind of fences do you need to keep a yak in? Do you supplement feed at all? What kind of pasture do they like? Any good Yak books around?

Perhaps its no coincidence that we live in Idaho, elevation 6,000 ft and very cold and windy in the winter. Can you tell me who you purchased from? PM me if you like. They sound just perfect for this environment.... but those horns! they aren't dangerous or mean are they... thy don't sound like it from what you wrote.

BYW my husband says that a steer is a a boy yak with his nuts cut off, but maybe we don't know much about Yaks.

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
I've been watching this thread, what with all the yakking going on. (Sorry, just couldn't help myself!:lol:)

Thanks very much for the info and the photo's YakLady! :frow

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
Mackay said:
BYW my husband says that a steer is a a boy yak with his nuts cut off, but maybe we don't know much about Yaks.
That is exactly what a steer is, be it a cow or a Yak. I'd never steer you in the wrong direction. :gig