Yard sale score!!!

tamlynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My neighbor had a yard sale, nothing I was interested in, but we were having a nice chat. Out of the blue I mentioned that if she ever ran across any canning jars I would be interested. A woman who was looking through the yard sale overheard me and said her mother had a whole bunch of jars that she would love to get rid of! She is supposed to bring them to me next week!

woohoo!!!!

(not to be confused with hoohoo.)

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Woot! I am still , and will probably always be in search of more canning jars. See if she knows anyone down in my neck of the woods who might have some. :lol:

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
tamlynn said:
My neighbor had a yard sale, nothing I was interested in, but we were having a nice chat. Out of the blue I mentioned that if she ever ran across any canning jars I would be interested. A woman who was looking through the yard sale overheard me and said her mother had a whole bunch of jars that she would love to get rid of! She is supposed to bring them to me next week!

woohoo!!!!

(not to be confused with hoohoo.)
:lol: :lol:

Great score! Don't ya just love it when someone doesn't want to can anymore? :D

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I've had an ad on kijiji for months now asking for free or reasonably priced canning jars--not one response. I guess the ppl who gave up canning don't read the want ads.

I am not giving up hope though, and come canning season next year, I am prepared to actualy buy canning jars--i see it as an investment. :)

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
Try posting on laundry bulletin boards- I posted for someone to do drywall and got a response in 2 days. Hired them and they did a great job and fast!
I see lots of senior women at the laundry who might have given up canning, especially when it became only for one person.

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I keep checking CL but around here most are looking to get jars and if any are trying to get rid of them, they want a hefty price that is comparable to new. And new jars are outrageous $10 to $12 for a dozen. Year before last and previous several years were only half that. Last year and this has seen significant increases in canning equipment. Even flat lids have nearly doubled, regular are now $2.50 + and wide mouth are $3.75+ for box of 12, depending on where ya go. With such costs I'm wondering if it's really worth the effort. Yes I realize the food is much better/healthier than store bought prepackaged and jars and rings last for years and I do grow alot of what goes into the jars....BUT sheesh!

I'm beginning to wonder if they are trying to price us right out of home canning & garden seeds in order to force us into store bought chemically treated crap that will make us all sick so we are then forced to seek medical attention that makes drug companies megarich. Or am I ranting on again? :rant

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
I don't know where you live, but if you are in the west there is a chain of stores called WinCo. Off season, their jars range from 8 to 10 dollars a dozen, and the lids are 1.50 for regular and 2.29 for wide mouth. During canning season, the prices were about 40% less. I paid $5.79 a dozen for pints and 7.79 for quarts. It's a very good resource.

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Ldychef2k said:
I don't know where you live, but if you are in the west there is a chain of stores called WinCo. Off season, their jars range from 8 to 10 dollars a dozen, and the lids are 1.50 for regular and 2.29 for wide mouth. During canning season, the prices were about 40% less. I paid $5.79 a dozen for pints and 7.79 for quarts. It's a very good resource.
Yep up north in Washington state and there is a Winco not too far from me. I've never been in there (yet :lol: ) since I've tried to stick to one (maybe two) stores that are closer. I'm afraid I'd be too tempted to overspend if I went to too many different stores. But I may just have to try them out!

eta-oops forgot to say THANKS! :p