YAY!!! Finally Some Duck Eggs! Beautiful, Delicious Quacked Up Eggs!

Selahgal

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Wow I'm totally surprised! I thought they only laid eggs in the spring! Our geese have been frisky lately [the ducks seem to always be frisky since there is FIVE males and only ONE female at the moment! Poor thing!] and it's the dead of winter here in north central Indiana! Guess I better start scanning the area for eggs from the ducks or geese now too just in case, eh? How cool is that???!!!

Marci

ranchhand

Power Conserver
Reaction score
BarredBuff, according to DH they are just a tad bit stronger than a fresh chicken egg. He said they were delicious, which is high praise from him. He's pretty careful when I use him as a guinea pig!

I though I was going to have to wait until spring, too, so this was a fabulous surprise. Seeing as how my freeloading hens aren't laying worth a hoot right now.

Selahgal

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
ranchhand said:
BarredBuff, according to DH they are just a tad bit stronger than a fresh chicken egg. He said they were delicious, which is high praise from him. He's pretty careful when I use him as a guinea pig!

I though I was going to have to wait until spring, too, so this was a fabulous surprise. Seeing as how my freeloading hens aren't laying worth a hoot right now.
You got freeloading hens too eh? HAHA

What do I call a freeloading chicken? A ROOSTER!!!!

My 18 girls are still laying 'about' 8-9 eggs a day average so I can't really complain ... too much. Ahem.

Spring cometh!! But not nearly fast enough for me!

My DH is a guinea pig too ... ;)

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Bbuff, my kids prefer duck eggs to chicken eggs (well, my scovies eggs anyways) the yolks are huge with little white. My kids are not fans of the white parts of eggs, so, having a scovy egg, they have very little white to eat.

Sadly I'll have to wait for spring too. I'm only getting two chcken eggs a day. I've had to buy eggs this winter agin. :(

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
I agree, muscovy eggs are just like that....ours have large yolks. It makes them taste rich, and good.

They are not very different overall from chicken eggs in flavor overall however, just a little big...eggier...

We are not getting any duck eggs right now though.

Selahgal

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Do you all have a light in the coop? We have a heat lamp with the red hue that stays on in the coop 24/7. It's to keep their water from freezing, but I suspect the extra light keeps them laying.

Also I try to feed them lots of extra 'real' food during the winter ... raw veggies, raw mashed or partially cooked fruit/veggies, cooked rice or potatoes, oatmeal, crushed egg shells, scrambled eggs ... sometimes I'll throw some of their own eggs into the big dish and they scarf it down.

Other than all that, it's just laying mash and scratch grains!