Year round crops?

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
Wolf-Kim said:
Thank you so much for all the input! I can see how it could be so difficult and it's definately not for us! ;)

Then again, I guess if there was a simple solution to winter crops, most people would be using it already. Can't get enough of those homegrown goodies. :p

-Kim
Before you give up, check this site. They will have info on what can grow when in your area on a month by month basis. They don't flood your e-mail box either. I only hear from them 1-2 x a month.
statebystategardening.com)

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
dragonlaurel said:
Wolf-Kim said:
Thank you so much for all the input! I can see how it could be so difficult and it's definately not for us! ;)

Then again, I guess if there was a simple solution to winter crops, most people would be using it already. Can't get enough of those homegrown goodies. :p

-Kim
Before you give up, check this site. They will have info on what can grow when in your area on a month by month basis. They don't flood your e-mail box either. I only hear from them 1-2 x a month.
statebystategardening.com)
The greenhouse that I have planned for the new shed....SHOULD be completely self sufficient, heat wise. The south facing wall of the shed( actually will be the NORTH wall of the greenhouse) has 6 inches of insulation in it.....I have well over 175, 5 gallon stack-able jugs for a water/heat source..... 10 sheets of 5/8ths thick, 34 x 76 thermo-pane glass sections for the south GLASS wall.......just ordered TWO 5ft x 80 inch tall sliding glass doors for the east and the west walls.....the roof will be six inches FULLY insulated with a 3/4 inch foil covered foam ceiling for light reflection AND insulation value.....
I "think" that will be enough heat absorption/retention to be able to grow tommy-toes year round, WITHOUT any additional heat source..... I think the only other thing I will need is a "little" more light to stretch the daylight enough for the junk to grow.
Lettuce, spinach, and other cold crops should NOT be a problem.
I hope...............:hu :hu

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
SKR8PN, I really like the glass slider idea. Where I live we have more heat than cold. My greenhouse failed before because it was always over heating. the sliders are a great idea. around here you can get used on craigslist very cheap. I will have to keep that in mind if I ever build a new one.

g