Year round crops?

Wolf-Kim

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I've seen the plans to build an inexpensive polytunnel greenhouse. I can't help but wonder if you can grow those delicious homegrown tomatoes all year round?

I would think that this would be possible with the use of timed lights, correct? As long as the plants didn't actually freeze, they should be fine correct?

Or, would I only need to worry about the plants not freezing and the natural light be enough to get them to survive and reproduce?

I guess I want to know whether it's light, heat, or a combination of both that would enable year round crops?

-Kim

OkieAnnie

City slicker gone rural
Reaction score
Kim -
I don't know much about gardening, but I do know that tomatos like warm soil and bees to polinate. I am sure there is a way to garden all year with a green house typ set up and depending on where you live and what you want to grow heaters, lamps or the likes.

I am sure some of the others on the forum know much, much more than I do. ;)

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
My cousin has a huge greenhouse operation where he gorws english cukes year round. I don't know much about it, but i do know that is is all computer operated to maintain a certain temp year round. he heats with natural gas, and the roofs have mechanical flaps that lower and raise depending on how much they need to cool off .

I know the Amish used to (don;t know if they still do) heat their greehouses with a woodstove, but I don't know the logistics of it. don't know if any of this info helps, but all I do know is that if you want to grow year round--you will need a heat source.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I think some crops are better suited to winter growing in tunnels...like lettuce, mustard greens, etc...

Wolf-Kim

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
That's what I was worried about. Having to heat and create the "ideal" environment. Bet it can get pretty pricey, heating and timers and waterers. :/

Although I can see how the spinach and lettuce and leafy things would do well! No bugs, no pollination needed because the leaves are your crop, and no rabbits to horde it all. LOL
(Although I bet rabbit stew tastes even better in winter ;) )

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score

Aidenbaby

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
If I remember right, tomatoes don't ripen with light. They ripen with temperature.

I want a greenhouse very badly. Someday, when I've got a bit more land, I'll have one. Right now, space is precious in my garden.

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
In a passive heated greenhouse that stays above freezing at night, you may be able to keep your tomatoes going (these are spring started, summer grown tomatoes) well into fall or early winter, depending upon where you live. However, unless you are seriously altering the environment (adding lots of energy -- both heat and light), you really can't keep them going all winter in northern locations.

However, I think keeping the tomatoes going until Thanksgiving (my experience last year in Western Washington) was well worth it!