Yeast Fermented Fruit

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
(This recipe calls for canned fruit, and it was found in an old book, so I'm sure we can play with the recipe as a group if you are interested.)

Mix together 3/4 cup of drained canned peaches, 3/4 cup drained canned pinaple cubes, six maraschino cherries, 1 1/2 cups of sugar, and one package active dry yeast. Place in a crock and cover loosley with cheese cloth. The first day, stir several times, then stir once a dayfor two weeks. Keep at room temp.

After two weeks, remove one cup of the fermented fruit to use as a starter for a new batch (you can eat what is left). To the starter add 3/4 cup each of drained peaches and cubed pineapple and six maraschino cherries. Add only one cup of sugar. Let stand for one wek before using. When you need another batch, steal more starter fromt he original crock, and add new fruit and sugar.

This recipe does not include sprits, but since the sugar, yeast and fruit make alcohol, don't use this recipe if you want to avoid alcoholic products.

This is supposed to be very spooned over vanilla ice cream.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
freemotion, I just read your post about adding whey to those Japanese pickels to make them lacto-fermented. Would you do the same with this recipe? If so, how much?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I don't know....I think this is a very different type of fermenting. I don't think the whey would create the same product at all. I think this recipe is more about creating a sort of "friendship cake" type of fermentation. Like wine but with oxygen allowed to impact the process. I don't know how strong the alcohol content would be with all the air allowed to get to it.

It seems that the point of this recipe is not to preserve the fruit, since it is being taken out of jars or cans to start the recipe. Whereas lactofermentation is about preserving food and increasing nutrient bioavailability and digestibility.

When you get the book you ordered, there are some chutney recipes that are lactofermented. I haven't tried them yet, being allergic to most everything that grows on a tree. But I plan to this fall, since I am VERY allergic to cabbage and can eat my own sauerkraut, and using the info in this book, I have fewer and fewer reactions to anything I eat as my body continues to heal. I'm ready to take it to another level. With benedryl in hand!

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
Except with Rumtopf you actually add the rum.
This sounds interesting, though. I want to try and make my own wine this year. But I don't know yet which fruit to use. Depends on which I have plenty of. Never thought to use canned fruit to make an alcoholic beverage.