Yeast questions

On Our own

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
OK I bought the compressed yeast in the brick and frankly - I don't understand the measuring directions!

If I am used to using 1 and 1/4 teaspoons as a one serving for say bread etc. What do I use?? Can some one idiot proof this one for me? Assume absolute stupidity. (As if that wasn't evident because I cannot understand the directions.) :rolleyes:

hennypenny9

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Are you talking about the vacuum sealed two pound yeast? I got some from Costco the other day, and just assumed to use it the same as my yeast in the jar... Or is this some other kind of yeast? Now I'm confused!

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
A standard packet of yeast is usually 2 1/2 tsp of yeast.

Usually for the instant (SAF) yeast, you would use 1 tsp yeast.

Substitution: To substitute instant or bread machine yeast for active dry yeast, use 25% less instant yeast than active dry.

YEAST SUBSTITUTIONS:
~~~~~~~
To convert cake yeast to instant yeast:

For 1 packed Tb cake yeast use 2 tsp instant yeast or 2-1/2 tsp active dry

OR

To convert recipes calling for instant yeast to active dry yeast: Use 1.25 times the weight; or, for 1 tsp instant yeast, use about 1 1/4 tsp active dry yeast

To convert recipes calling for active dry yeast to instant yeast: Use 0.67 times the weight; or, for 1 tsp active dry yeast, use 3/4 tsp instant yeast

To convert recipes calling for fresh compressed yeast to instant yeast: Use 0.32 times the weight; or, for 1 packed Tb (21 grams) fresh yeast, use 2 tsp instant yeast

from the Bread Bible, from Rose Levy Beranbaum

On Our own

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thank you thank you!!!!!!!! That makes SO much more sense than what was on the package!!