Yellow Pear Tomato Jam

calendula

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
So, I am currently overrun with yellow pear tomatoes, which is good and bad. Good because it's food for us, but bad because I have so many I'm not sure what to do with them. I am thinking about trying this recipe for jam. It is supposed to be good on crackers and bagels, and I'm sure I could find other uses for it.

YELLOW PEAR TOMATO JAM

4 c sugar
3/4 c water
6 c yellow pear tomatoes
3 jalapeno chilies, seeded and finely chopped
3 Tb chopped fresh basil
3 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
2 Tbsp distilled white vinegar

1. In a 6-quart saucepan combine the sugar and water. Bring to a boil over medium heat and simmer until the syrup reaches 234 F on a cooking thermometer.

2. Remove from the heat and add the tomatoes, mixing well. The syrup may change consistency, but continue stirring and eventually the tomatoes will mix evenly.

3. Return to heat and add the chilies, basil, lemon juice, and vinegar. Simmer, uncovered, on very low heat until the mixture thickens, about 1 1/2 - 2 hours. Stir often, being careful not to burn. The jam will darken.

4. Ladle into clean jars, leaving 1/4 inch of head space. Cap and seal.

5. Process for 15 minutes in a boiling water-bath canner.

I don't make jam very often, usually that's my husband's thing. Can you substitute anything for granulated sugar, like honey, when making jam, or will it not turn out right? I also noticed that this recipe does not call for pectin. Is that because it's jam, not jelly?

JRmom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
The sugar is what causes it to thicken up. And yes, I've read that you can substitute honey for sugar in jam recipes.

Thumbs up for tomato jam!!!! I love it, especially with some kick from hot peppers.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Interesting! I don't care for tomato jam, I'd rather just eat the tomatoes! But I have friends that just love it and I copied the recipe for her.

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
A few years back I had a huge bumper crop of them so I used them to make salsa, it turned out fantastic orangish. Toms this year are not doing so well, I am going to have to buy some to put up salsa, tom sauce, etc.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
What is the deal with tomatoes this year? I have been getting gobs from my 6 Celebrity plants, but all my friends have hardly gotten any. Sufficientforme, if you lived in my neck of the woods, I'd give you a couple pails of 'maters. I can't stand to see anyone buying them while I have plenty to share.

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I live in Arizona! Thanks for the offer though. My in-laws always have 50 plus plants but I would rather not ask them :rolleyes: so I will have to buy them and then at least I know in what I am eating ingredient wise, and that's why I can anyway to be honest.

calendula

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
JRmom said:
The sugar is what causes it to thicken up. And yes, I've read that you can substitute honey for sugar in jam recipes.

Thumbs up for tomato jam!!!! I love it, especially with some kick from hot peppers.
What do you normally use yours for? I was thinking it would be good on cream cheese as a cracker spread or as a glaze for chicken.

JRmom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
calendula said:
JRmom said:

What do you normally use yours for? I was thinking it would be good on cream cheese as a cracker spread or as a glaze for chicken.
I eat it over cream cheese too, with crackers (need to make some more yogurt cheese, that would be good too). But it's also good on a hot biscuit with loads of butter. The glaze sounds like a great idea!