Yes ....YES......YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
For YEARS I fought the good fight. Yes we had a TV.

Our first one was a 14 inch B&W (yes they made tv's like that in the dark ages) that never got good reception and constantly rolled. It was awful to watch it and I loved it.

Our second TV (and many, many TV's after it) lived in the basement. Down there all lonely. With an old chair and the perfect ambiance only a partially finished basement can have. Sure ... you can watch TV anytime and as long as you can stand to.

Now the kids are out. We have a new TV and a family room to put it in. Suddenly we are watching TV ... OK not really television, but Netflix and movies WAY, WAY too much.

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
I have been without a television for quite some time, the longer you go without it the less you miss it, kinda like quitting smoking. Though I do read the news on the internet my connection is too slow and limited to watch any video - I have to use a cell phone connection for internet as I don't even have a phone line.

You will never convince a person to change their ways with a diatribe, the best way is by example followed by getting them interested in something else long enough to see that they never really needed the crutch in the first place. The problem with my last suggestion; it is near impossible and / or they will spend all their new free time brewing beer.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
xpc said:
The problem with my last suggestion; it is near impossible and / or they will spend all their new free time brewing beer.
:gig

Actually, since the big one blew up, and we're using the little 13 inch, he's not been watching as much T.V.!! He watches the morning news, midday news, and then in the evening maybe watches a show and then the evening news.

AND he's been turning it off when he leaves the room!!!

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
Well that is a step in the right direction, there is nothing wrong with watching a little TV but too many people turn it on the minute they get home until they fall asleep for no other reason but just because ...

They say what else can I do? you can only clean up the garage or attic or basement or file cabinet or fix gutters or windows that leak a thousand dollars a year in heat so many times! Wrong, those things are self looping and have no end.

5 or so years back I canceled my cable and cell phone which cost $200 a month, With the money saved I bought a second house for retirement and have most of it paid off. It was a cheap fixer upper but thanks to no TV and my "free" time it is now worth 5 times what I paid for it and plan to retire at age 50 from its profit.

That may be a tad extreme but you get the point, you don't have to work from sun-up to sun-down like my Amish brethren and me, maybe take it easy and only do 16 hours until a real mans day can be handled. It takes time as it did with the 12 year old Asian children which took them 6 years to work up to a 18 hour day, but then again sewing sneakers is fun to them - so I'm tole'

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
If my TV broke hubby would be buying me another on ASAP. ADD girl does not go without TV.
DH can't deal with TV, it sucks him in. But radio or books on tape help him focus on what he is doing.

YAY on the blowing up. I'm giving angry glares at ours, hoping it will die. Its an old dinosaur that will probably never give up. My dad bought it used during the the first desert storm, it went to college with me and now lives in our living room. But we don't have cable or satelite. Only DVDs and our collection of old VHS. And waaay too many video game systems that can't be used if the tv dies. DIE so I can sell them without a fight! :lol:

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
noobiechickenlady, I forgot about those, Years ago when I was still connected to high speed I downloaded about 50 BBC documentaries and 100's of hours of science lectures from MIT which had an open online format at the time. I also have no less than 50 DVDs of ebooks by all the greatest authors and some not to good, a lot of Nathanial Hawthorn, Steven King shorts and a thousand more. I have been saving them for a reclusive retirement.

I also boast the most complete collection of Charles Bronson movies that any man could ask for - yes even Twinky, that one even embarrassed me. I have to check ebay as I still have my 1977 intellivision game console - and was the last time I ever played a game besides knip knop.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Quail_Antwerp said:
it lasted all of five minutes. :he :barnie

he brought out our mini - tv from the bedroom :rant :smack
Well think how you might feel if your internet went down! different strokes for different folks.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
~gd said:
Quail_Antwerp said:
it lasted all of five minutes. :he :barnie

he brought out our mini - tv from the bedroom :rant :smack
Well think how you might feel if your internet went down! different strokes for different folks.
I've had that happen, and I've gone quite awhile without internet and did just fine. :)

In fact, last year when money was tight, we let the phone be shut off and didn't have internet. The person MOST affected was Becca - because she couldn't call me every day to find out what was going on :gig