YO............get

dianer29

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Hubby devours Greek style yogurt almost daily. Twenty four ounces is $5.99 here on the island. I use organic plain yogurt for dogs and chooks. I do not eat any of it,just does not agree with me at all. I know that there are kits/machines one can purchase to make it yourself. I am not sure if cost effective as well as will it be thick such as the Greek style ?

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
Get yourself a yogurt maker and have at it. I started out using some Greek yogurt as my starter, and haven't look back. The Wife and I LOVE my yogurt! All it takes is a little milk to make a batch. Easy-peasy!

hwillm1977

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
If it turns out too runny... I just put it on paper towels in a strainer and let the whey collect in a bowl underneath... then the yogurt part is nice and thick (I don't buy the expensive greek yogurt, I just use plain and drain away the whey to thicken it)

I've made yogurt and I didn't have a yogurt maker... I just heated the milk to the right temp, added plain yogurt, dumped into a large thermos, wrapped it in a towel and let it sit for 12 hours... (don't move it)... and voila, you have a thermos full of yogurt. :)

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
There are many ways to make your own yogurt. Just depends on you. I use a Donavier maker. I even use live culture Greek as a starter. Works great. Good luck!!

gina

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
I use a Euro Cuisine Automatic Yogurt Maker. Works great. I always mix up a little extra when I cook my milk. That way I don't have to worry about the wife eating all my starter. I have fresh starter for the next batch.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I make 8-9 quarts at a time...takes the same amount of effort as making one cup! And it keeps beautifully. I use the picnic cooler method from BYC, I think, or was it BYH?

Jamsoundsgood

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I use the recipe from BYC, but instead of using the cooler I just stick it in the oven overnight with the light on. Works fine. The oven is nice and insulated and the light gives off enough heat to keep it warm enough. I have found that using the greek yogurt gives me the best results as a starter, but really, I just look for the kind that has the most live cultures in it and use that. Oh, and I freeze the extra yogurt I buy ('cause I buy the big containers) in ice cube trays for future starts. That way when my husband or kids eat it all up, or I forget to hide a bit, or we just go off it for awhile I don't have to worry about having to run to the store to pick up a start. It comes out just fine. :)

ETA: I grew up with my mom using a yogurt maker and it had just enough cups in it for each of us kids. It was pretty cool. I would personally rather go that route, it just seems like there is always something better to spend money on.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I make big batches like freemotion. I have an old slow cooker base that, if set on 1, heats my cooler to 110.

You can also take less expensive yogurt and drain it to get that greek yogurt texture.