Yogurt cheese flavourings

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Okay, I normally make my yo-cheese, then mix it with a ranch dressing herb mix, and use it on bagels or biscuits for breakfast. but it has a bit of a bite that I want to try and get rid of, or work around.

So, I have been searching for different ideas to flavour yogurt cheese. What all do you do? I have read recipes where you flavour it before you strain it, but how would that effect the whey if your were to use it for other things?

How all do you use your yo-cheese?

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Sometimes I have used yo-cheese for a substitute for cream cheese in cheesecake, adding my cheesecake recipe flavoring.

Otherwise, for yogurt and yo-cheese, I like mixing in jam for flavoring. Pretty much any jam is delicious!

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
If you mix it with fruit it will probably calm that kick or bite as you put it.

So far I've mixed it with crushed red pepper, crushed cloves and sea salt combined, as well as fresh yellow and red raspberries.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
You probably don't want to flavor it before draining if you want to use the whey. It will limit what you can use the whey for.

I love it the same way most people like to eat yogurt. I parfait it with berries or fruit and a few drops of stevia extract. It is delightful and not sour like yogurt. The texture is decadent, too.

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
i eat my straight - i LOVE it!

but sometimes a drizzle of honey is just the ticket
:)

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Honestly the only way that I actually *like* yogurt cheese is if you mix a bunch of grated parmesan-type cheese into it, AFTER straining it.

I know this probably means I lack a refined or broadminded palate or something, but, hey <g>

Chives and such are good too, but I gotta have the parmesan in it or it just tastes way too 'yogurty' for me :p

Pat

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
Honestly the only way that I actually *like* yogurt cheese is if you mix a bunch of grated parmesan-type cheese into it, AFTER straining it.
****ohmigosh... i'd live 3 lifetimes before i'd come up with this but WOW what a great idea!!!!

I know this probably means I lack a refined or broadminded palate or something, but, hey <g>
*** nah but we'll make fun of you anyway

just kidding - hugs!
;-)

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
You can't go wrong with Parmesan :D I'm thinking of it slathered on top of a tomato, topping toasty French bread and then broiled and sprinkled with garlic salt. Oh yum!

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
me&thegals said:
You can't go wrong with Parmesan :D I'm thinking of it slathered on top of a tomato, topping toasty French bread and then broiled and sprinkled with garlic salt. Oh yum!
so i'll be right over - make that 2 for me!!!!

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
ohiofarmgirl said:
me&thegals said:
so i'll be right over - make that 2 for me!!!!
Make it three! I'm drooling!!!! :drool

Latest posts