Yogurt Cheese

JRmom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Last weekend I made crockpot yogurt for the first time (thanks to Marianne and a post on her blog! :D ). Very yummy. Yesterday morning I took half of that yogurt and placed it in a colander lined with a dish towel and placed the whole thing over a bowl to drain. By last night I had the most yummy yogurt cheese! It was great over a slice of apple pie. I think I will season the remainder of the cheese with some salt, pepper, and basil. I can't wait to use this to make a tomato salad. :drool

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Isn't that just the bomb! :D I love yogurt cheese! In my area, cream cheese is actually a little cheaper than making your own yogurt cheese, but the homemade is so good, huh! Oh, wait...now I have to go crunch some numbers. The last time I figured that was from using purchased yogurt. Hmmmmm....

Thanks for visiting my blog!

JRmom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I figured that if I make the next batch with the homemade yogurt, the $$$ will be in my favor. Not to mention the flavor is absolutely better than store bought. I'm hooked!

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
I'm trying the crock pot yogurt today, Marianne, thanks for that link on your blog....

Neko-chan

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
A thread I posted a while ago about Yogurt Cheese:

http://www.sufficientself.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=8192

I need to make yogurt again, but hubby doesn't seem so crazy about my homemade stuff. He prefers the flavored yoplait stuff, which, though all right, probably isn't all the great. I mean, store bought yogurt down here is ridicously expensive, and we only get it on sale when it's down to 4 dollars for a large container. A 2 liter jug of milk is 3 something, and it's natural. I swear, I'll never understand...