Yoo hoo, OFG!! Bacon Maple Cupcakes

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
I had these the other day at a cupcake shop in Tacoma. The shop is called Jubilee and it is down in the Proctor area. They were soo good that I had to find a recipe, here is one that sounds pretty darn good.

Bacon Maple Cupcakes (from "Bacon Today")

Ingredients
* 4 1/2 tablespoons butter, room temperature
* 1/2 tablespoon bacon drippings (left in the fridge to become solid)
* 1 egg
* 5 tablespoons brown sugar
* 4 tablespoons maple syrup
* 1 1/4 cups self rising flour
* 1 teaspoon baking soda
* 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
* tiny tiny pinch kosher salt
* 1/4 cup milk
* 1/4 cup of minced bacon, cooked and drained

What youll do
* 1) Cook some bacon in a fry pan (about 6 thick strips). Reserve the drippings and place in the fridge to solidify. Mince 1/4 a cup of the bacon. The chef should eat whatever is left to assure that the bacon is tasty.
* 2) Beat the crud out of the butter and solidified bacon fat till light and creamy. Add the brown sugar and maple syrup and beat well until combined.
* 3) Add the egg and beat until incorporated.
* 4) Sift the flour, salt, baking soda and powder together.
* 5) Add some of the flour and mix, then some of the milk, then continue to alternate the dry and wet ingredients, ending with the dry. Mix until just combined. Fold in the bacon. Taste and add more maple syrup, flour, or milk if needed for desired taste. Keep in mind the maple frosting is very sweet, and to add in very small increments for alterations as maple syrup in large amounts can break a cake batter.
* 6) Scoop into cupcake papers and bake at 350 F for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Be sure to rotate the pan after the first 15 minutes for even baking.

Maple Syrup Frosting

Ingredients
* 4 tablespoons of butter.
* 2 tablespoons of maple syrup.
* 1 cup of powdered sugar.
* turbinado sugar (optional, but recommended).
* coarse grain sea salt (optional, but recommended).

What Youll Do
* Combine the syrup and butter until combined. Add the sugar, a bit at a time, and whip at high speeds until combined. Pipe or spread onto cupcakes. Sprinkle on sea salt and turbinado sugar for decoration and a lot of added flavor.
(add some crumbled BACON TOO!)

http://bacontoday.com/maple-bacon-cupcake-recipe-2/

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I love what the chef is supposed to do w/the extra bacon! And, those sound good.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
Now that sounds like breakfast. Just add a cup of coffee and I would be good to go.

:D
I've been known to eat cake for breakfast. I figure it can't be any worse than most breakfast cereals that are sold. So, this would be a much better breakfast for me.

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
* wanders in, sees thread title, eyes bug right out of head *

DUDE!!! (note: in cases of extreme duress OFG will revert to west side slang)

thats so AWESOME!!!

cake for breakfast - um.. doesnt every one do that? i mean.. when they arent having pie?

BBH you totally made my day!! thanks baby!!!

:)

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
"DUDE!!! (note: in cases of extreme duress OFG will revert to west side slang)"

OFG Like, I totally get it. For sure!!!

:lol:

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Don't get me started on breakfast cereals......Properly made pie is WAY better for you! YUMMMM!

I would be very tempted to use all bacon fat in that recipe....waddaya think? I wouldn't frost them....but I don't care for frosting anyways. I love the look of a dusting of powdered sugar if I want to fancy-up some cupcakes....for muffins, I love the crunch of those big sugar crystals on top. :drool

I've been craving homemade donuts. When I was a kid, my Memere made them for us once. Holy Cow. A-M-A-ZZZZZZING! And we later had a neighbor with a big family, mostly boys, and she would save up all bacon fat and when she had enough (after normal cooking with it) she would make chocolate cake-type donuts and fry them in the bacon grease. She used the chocolate to hide the bacon taste. I wouldn't hide it. I'd try a less sweet...or non-sweet...recipe and savor the flavor!

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
:drool As I sit here drooling...I was looking at that list of ingredients. I have everything to make them, in the morning, for breakfast!! WOOHOO!!!!!:bow I bow to those who make up these recipes.

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
Bethanial said:
ohiofarmgirl said:
cake for breakfast - um.. doesnt every one do that? i mean.. when they arent having pie?
:weee
YOU!!! i've been meaning to tell you Bethanial.... we made the apple butter pumpkin pie!

IT WAS GREAT AND I HAD IT FOR BREAKFAST!!

really, it was a huge hit! thanks for passing it along! for those not in the know:
http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/apple-butter-pumpkin-pie/Detail.aspx

whoot!

tanks: totally. like. for sure. whatever. ha! if i were in my board shorts and my flip flops you'd never know i was doin' this farmin' thing! ha!