You all have corrupted me! Update

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I'm not having any luck getting a broody. All I'm doing is wasting eggs. So right now, DH is on the computer looking at incubators. :hide And, the one he's looking at is the one I wanted. I never told him what it was, just let him look on his own. This is what I'm looking at. Anyone have any experience w/it?

http://www.brinsea.com/prod-Mini_Advance_fully_digital_7_egg_incubator-230.aspx

I'm wanting something small that's easy to use. I figure if I eventually get to where I want something bigger, I can probably sell it.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I have the brinsea Eco 20--absolutely love it. Me personally, I think that one is too small. Mine holds 24 chicken eggs. Out of that , 5 were duds, and 4 did not hatch, so that left me with 15.

oh look, it is even cheaper! http://www.brinsea.com/prod-Octagon_20_ECO_egg_incubator-224.aspx I also got he turning cradle, but you don't need it, and yo don't need to hand turn, you just rotate the octagon shaped bator.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
I have the brinsea Eco 20--absolutely love it. Me personally, I think that one is too small. Mine holds 24 chicken eggs. Out of that , 5 were duds, and 4 did not hatch, so that left me with 15.

oh look, it is even cheaper! http://www.brinsea.com/prod-Octagon_20_ECO_egg_incubator-224.aspx I also got he turning cradle, but you don't need it, and yo don't need to hand turn, you just rotate the octagon shaped bator.
I thought about that one, but I only have 2 hens that have fertile eggs. They're at the farm w/my rooster, my other 2 are at home. Plus, I'm not really set up for a lot of chicks. That's why I wanted to go small. Eventually, I'd like to get a bigger one, but for a start, I'm hoping this will do.

hoosier

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I haven't gone down that road

yet!

Denim Deb

Reaction score
Well, my hubby went to TSC and came home w/the Little Giant incubator and turner! :ya So, I'll be collecting eggs this week, and hope to get it running next Saturday! Last year, Henrietta seemed really interested in a couple of chicks I had, so once the chicks hatch, I'm going to see if I can get her to mother them. I will have something set up for just in case, but it would make my life so much easier if she'll take care of them.

MetalSmitten

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
make sure you set it up a few days before hand, get a spare thermometer and hygrometer (petco sells one cheap for reptiles that i've heard is good). get it running steady before you set any eggs :) i've heard really mixed reviews about the LG, mainly that it doesn't do well at holding temps steady if your house temp fluctuates, but i've seen plenty of successful hatches with them too. you just gotta babysit it a little :)

Denim Deb

Reaction score
I knew that you needed to get it set up B4 hand, and I'd planned on doing that. I haven't read the manual yet, but will be doing that soon. Eventually, I'd like to get a better one, but this will do for now. I don't think my hubby would have bought it if he had realized it was styrofoam.