you can substitute cranberry sauce for jam in cookie/bar recipes

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
I tried this last night and it worked really well so I thought I'd pass it along.

You know how there's a bunch of cookie or cookie-bar recipes that use jam, as a topping or filling or in a 'thumbprint'?

Well, it turns out that homemade cranberry sauce (a fairly thick cooked-down well-gelled version, not real sloppy) substitutes quite well :) At least in the jam bars and thumbprint cookies I made last night.

They were supposed to use raspberry jam but I was like "do I really have to open another jar when the fridge is already so full" and then I realized one of the things it's full of is an opened pint of the cranberry sauce I made last week.

When I bring the goodies to the kids' xmas party this mornign I am going to claim that being CRANBERRY bars/cookies makes them more festive LOL

Anyhow, just thought I'd toss that out there for anyone short of jam and long on cranberry sauce :)

Pat

Bethanial

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hey, according to the Ocean Spray guys (love those commercials) Cranberries are "The Unofficial Official Holiday Fruit"! (Just don't tell the dates and figs, but nobody can tell them apart anyway...)

:lol: :gig

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
(Just don't tell the dates and figs, but nobody can tell them apart anyway...)
They're easy to tell apart. Figs are the ones with millions of tiny harmless crunchy things that freak my husband out. Dates are the ones with practically nothing crunchy until you bite down the wrong way on a 'missed' bit of pit and break a tooth, which freaks ME out :p

Pat, major cranberry aficionado, figs are ok too, but dates I've had too many "near-dental experiences" with to be totally relaxed about

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
Pat, major cranberry aficionado, figs are ok too, but dates I've had too many "near-dental experiences" with to be totally relaxed about
:yuckyuck

Thanks for the smile!